We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

Which Carlsbad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

Hi

I managed to get a deal on a flight to LAX on Dec 26 leaving Jan 1 and I saw a hotel in Carlsbad that had deals on as well.

If you have a few minutes to answer my questions I would be very grateful.

No one can predict the weather but am I right in saying during the day it'll be in the 60s.

Are there malls and stuff nearby?

Only have a week but your beach has good reviews!

For us Brits 60s is warm!

Cheers

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

If you can give us the name of your hotel it will make it easier to answer your questions about "malls and stuff" and how close to the beach.

Welcome to California.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

What do you plan to do in Carlsbad? For some reason it gets promoted a lot in the UK as a location for people wanting to go to San Diego.

London, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

Sorry. It is the Holiday In n Express.

Basically just want to relax and do a bit of shopping.

Thank you for such quick replies!

Wow.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

The weather should be as expected, but may will be colder at night. It could rain. If you have young children they may enjoy Legoland. Don't know anything about the hotel myself. If you will be hiring a car you can drive to San Diego and visit the zoo and lovely Balboa Park. Actually, San Diego might be a good choice for your length of time. There is a nice outlet mall in Carlsbad I hear. Stay out of stores on Dec 26 and possibly the 27 as they will be swamped with folks returning gifts that are not quite right. All stores will have after Christmas sales, regardless of where you go. There is more selection earlier in the month, though.

If you register on Travel Zoo, you will get email offers for hotel specials in your selected cities. Some have holiday black outs, some don't.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 09:18
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

You can see the hotel location by putting it into Google and looking at the map that will appear! It is not at the beach and not in walking distance to shopping or restaurants.

You would need a car if you stay there.

Other hotels would be much better if you don't want to rent a car. I doubt if you are getting a special deal as most hotels in beach towns are less expensive in December!

Let us know if you want other hotel ideas. LAX is a good 1 1/2 hrs-2hrs away and it will be expensive to get to Carlsbad with no car!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

the reviews for this hotel are decent. it can be a cool time of year but i've also walked along the beach at christmas in shorts during the day. i'm from canada so, like you, our warm is different then californians. definitely, you'd want to rent a car. i too have heard that there is good shopping in carlsbad. you could also go for a drive down to the border and go to the outlet shopping area...or the trolley would take you there too. north of carlsbad is the town of laguna beach which is really nice if you like gallery type stores. some unique and beautiful artwork. beautiful area to go to for an afternoon. carlsbad is a nice place.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

There is an outlet mall right in Carlsbad so no need to go down to the border to shop.

Let us know if you'll have a car or not.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

OK, the three main places to shop in the area...

The Outlet Mall.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

The LARGE area that includes Westfield Plaza Camino Real off Highway 78 just east of I-5. (Actually on the Oceanside/Carlsbad border and the shops are both on the north and south side of 78.

http://www.westfield.com/plazacaminoreal/

And then Carlsbad Village for Antiques and similar type shopping.

sandiegocoastlife.com/attractions/san-diego-…

And as a former Warrior, check out the new state of the art Stadium/Parade field at ANA.

utsandiego.com/news/…

Here is a link to the main tourism website for the area.

www.visitcarlsbad.com

Also make sure and check out the neighboring city, Oceanside.

http://www.visitoceanside.org/

Edited: 06 October 2013, 15:40
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

We were in Carlsbad this past August for 3 nights when it was nice and warm, and found it an enjoyable place to visit, including a day at Legoland. I don't know if I'd want to spend a week there, unless you made day trips to San Diego.

London, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

You all are why I love TA!

Thank you so much.

Slight change of plan in as much going to stay 2 nights at LAX as we'll shattered on Dec25th, then get car and head up to Hollywood and Beverley Hills and do the tourist bit, then head to Carlsbad on 27th for 5nights, leaving Jan 1st.

Was wondering will the communal pool be open and is it heated.

Thanks again for your time guys.

CB