We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Carlsbad area

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flights to Carlsbad area

Hi everyone,

We will be staying in Carlsbad early October on a timeshare exchange and wondering where would be the easiest to fly into from London, Ontario. The flights right into Carlsbad have a lot of long layovers - seems easier to fly into San Diego and maybe take a train or the Coaster to Carlsbad - does that make sense?

Looking at a map, flying into LA also might be an option - I see there are flights from LA to Carlsbad, but again, the layover is longer than the flight. Perhaps other modes of transportation are a better option.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Carlsbad area

Flying into SAN makes sense but I'd rent a car to drive to your lodging.

Won't you need one while you are here? How will you get around for sightseeing or groceries or????????

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Carlsbad area

OK, Carlsbad's airport is pretty much a commuter airport, and the main service is from LAX to McClellan-Palomar Airport (CLD) on United Express.

SO you would need to fly into LAX and then connect, so the best way is to use United the entire trip, as the extra flight is usually a lot cheaper than a stand alone ticket.

Other options for nearby airports, you mentioned San Diego (Lindbergh Field/SAN), also John Wayne Airport (Orange County/Santa ANA/SNA), but then you would have to take a Shuttle or other arranged transport to Carlsbad, as there is no easy train connections. You could also look at Long Beach (LGB), but same issue.

So the best option is the flight into LAX and then CLD.

Second choices is Lindbergh Field and then take the COASTER or Amtrak train to the Carlsbad/Oceanside area.

Good luck on your planning.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Carlsbad area

We'll be staying at Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort, which I've read is walking distance to the village and many restaurants. We plan to use the Coaster to visit San Diego a couple of times and other than that, it didn't seem like we would need a rental car for anything. For groceries, we could always use a taxi for that one trip.

We won't be flying home from San Diego as we are going to Napa for a few days after our week in Carlsbad, so it wouldn't be convenient for returning a rental car to San Diego.

I guess we could rent a car in Carlsbad for a few days if we decide we need one.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Carlsbad area

How are you getting from Carlsbad to Napa?? I imagine that you know there are other wine regions in California that are closer to southern California than Napa.

I am glad that you are staying in a convenient spot in Carlsbad.

I agree that the Carlsbad airport is a commuter one so going there needs to be part of another ticket as suggested above.

From SAN you can either take the train or a limo service if you don't want to rent a car.

Sometimes the car rental is less expensive!

You can try this car service to get an idea of price:

www.beachlimo.com

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,956 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Carlsbad area

SAN is the best airport with maybe SNA (John Wayne Orange County) as an alternative. SAN is 35 miles, SNA is 53 (more or less).

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Carlsbad area

I always chuckle when I read posts from people who indicate they aren't going to rent a car. A long time ago Southern California came to a fork in the road about transportation. Southern California chose the road that leads to the automobile rather than subways, light rail, etc. Rent a car - you will feel much better if you do.

As far as airports go just go on kayak.com and price between your origin city and the following cities: San Diego, Carlsbad, LAX. You will have very limited choices with Carlsbad - it really is a commuter airport for LAX.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Carlsbad area

I frequently fly into SAN and take the coaster. The Inn is an easy walk from the station.

8. Re: Flights to Carlsbad area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:16