We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel or Monterey

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Carmel or Monterey

Thanks to Trip Advisors' advice we are now planning the most awesome vacation. I am so excited. We are now renting a car and instead of a week in San Francisco, we are now spending two nights in Napa. Then a trip advisor member suggested an overnight in Carmel/Monterey. Whoa, looked into it, and it is beautiful. Can someone help with how long the drive is from Napa to Carmel. Is it a doable excursion? Suggestions for restaurants and hotels. This is turning into a birthday getaway to the best birthday celebration ever Thanks..........

Level Contributor
34,499 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carmel or Monterey

We really like the Tickle Pink Inn in the Carmel Highland's are and are considering staying here again next month. Right next door at the Highland's Inn is the Pacific's Edge, a very nice restaurant.

In Carmel, La Playa is a very nice historic hotel with great amenities including a restaurant, outdoor swimming pool, small spa and gorgeous grounds and gardens. YOu can walk to the ocean and the shops from La Playa.

Other places we love to dine in the area include: Roy's in Pebble Beach, Casanova, Boucee, PortaBella, Katy's Place for breakfast and Little Napoli for Italian food.

In Monterey, check out the Plaza Hotel, there is also a wonderful bed and breakfast called the Old Monterey Inn where we would love to stay sometime. Have fun with your trip and your planning! :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
587 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmel or Monterey

Syrah Girl gave some great recommendations. As far as the driving time from Napa to Carmel I think it's about 3 hours? Can someone out there confirm?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmel or Monterey

The drive time is between two and a half and three hours. Since you're here for just one night, I'd advise you stay in Carmel proper (aka Carmel-by-the-Sea) so that you can walk to the beach and to restaurants. There are many nice B&Bs within walking distance of both: Vagabond's House Inn, Carmel Wayfarer Inn, Seaview Inn, Colonial Terrace Inn. For dinner in Carmel, if you like Italian, try Little Napoli; for Continental (souther France/northern Italy), try Casanova; for California cuisine, try Grasings Coastal Cuisine.

Level Contributor
34,499 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmel or Monterey

There is also a new place that has opened called Citronelle at Carmel Valley Ranch that is supposed to be good. We have also enjoyed the Sunday Jazz Brunch at the Mission Ranch in Carmel, you may see Clint here! :)

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carmel or Monterey

Clint Eastwood huh - would be worth the price of admission for my husband the movie buff. Does anyone have any information about the Hyatt in Carmel? Is it worth the money? Thanks

Level Contributor
34,499 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carmel or Monterey

The Highland's Inn as previously mentioned is the Park Hyatt. I love this property, the rooms are very spacious, they have a small kitchen area with dishes, microwave, a living area with fireplace, our rooms have had 2 person jacuzzis in them, the views are gorgeous from this property. I don't know what the rooms go for now, we last stayed under a Timeshare invite for $79/night for 3 nights. Any further questions on the Hyatt, feel free to ask! :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
587 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carmel or Monterey

Oh, so the Highlands Inn does do those timeshare invites, huh? I've always wondered, and I keep meaning to look into it. I love those deals. I gladly give up 90 minutes of my time to save a ton of money at a great property. Besides, I truly am interested in perhaps someday purchasing a timeshare.

8. Re: Carmel or Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 08:18