We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

How would you suggest that we -- a 60-something couple -- spend the week after flying into SF? I've never been to CA and expect that this will be my sole opportunity to visit the SF area. Definitely we want to spend time on the coast, but as we aren't all that interested in wine, I'd think that skipping Napa/Sonoma makes sense. This should be a relaxing time to appreciate the area, not an effort to cram as much as we can into a week.

A recent CT/RI-version of a memorable vacation included opening our eyes throughout our B&B stay to a panorama of the sun-spangled Long Island Sound...touring the Gris (birthplace of American Impressionism)...swinging with the Shiny Lapel Trio on the Ivoryton Green...toasting one another on the shaded deck of The Coast Guard House in Narragansett...watching the surfers at Point Judith...admiring the wares at a juried craft show on Guilford's Green...sampling plenty of seafood. That's what's fun for us. Who can help translate this to a CA experience?

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

No feedback yet, but I'm confident that SF Bay Area/Central Coast have equivalents to the East Coast vacation experiences I've listed:

Waterfront B&B =

Art =

Live music =

Drinks with a view =

Festival/fair =

Food =

What can you recommend we seek out when we visit in October? What's exceptional? Since this may be my only chance to vist SF area, I'd like to make some great memories.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,970 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

Well, if you want a waterfront B&B you want to visit the Monterey Peninsula, 2-1/2 hours from SF, and stay either at the Green Gables Inn or the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. Right across from the water. Great walking path along the bayfront.

http://www.greengablesinnpg.com/

http://www.pginns.com/

PGdenizen, of this forum, can give you more details on where to eat (great food in this town and you can walk to it from the b&b's) and what to see while you are there, but do not miss Point Lobos Nature Preserve, south of Carmel. Take the trails and observe the sea life.

In San Francisco visit the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. Take the elevator up to the tower, for a view of the city. If you are in time, here is a great exhibit until Sept. 28

http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/index.asp

(As long as you are there, how about a canoe ride on Stow Lake?) And don't miss the Japanese Tea Garden and Strybling Arboretum.

Also the Palace of the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park.

www.famsf.org/legion/exhibitions/index.asp

If you walk around to the back of this lovely building (which has a replica of Rodin's "The Thinker" in the entrance) there is a path where you can get a view of the Golden Gate Bridge from the "wrong" (ocean) side. Lovely.

If you want to watch more surfers, on your way to the Monterey Peninsula stop at Santa Cruz. Get down to the Bay and to Steamers Lane on West Cliff Drive, marked by a miniature lighthouse, which is actually a surfer museum. Peek over the cliff and you will usually see some really skilled surfers. Competitions are held here in the season of high waves.

As long as you are down there, give yourselves a treat and walk through the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, (no admission fee) which is an historic amusement park (not a theme park) of the old order, with a wooden roller coaster, the original merry-go-round with a calliope and brass rings to throw in the clown's mouth, a taffy pulling machine, many scary rides and games of skill. It celebrated its 100th birthday last summer.

Look for "Laughing Sal" a life-sized gap-toothed fat redhead who is behind glass and laughs hysterically whilst waving her arms. She spent the first part of her life at Playland at the Beach in San Francisco, many years ago, outside of the fun house.

I like your style. I hope some of this fits.

Have a great trip.

Level Contributor
35,019 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

Cambria is a nice place to visit on the central coast, go to the Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill for drinks with a view, good food here, also. The Blue Whale Inn is a nice bed and breakfast that is right across from the ocean. www.centralcoast.com Have fun! :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

I will second the Green Gables or Seven Gables in Pacific Grove. Lovely Victorian inns across the street from the gorgeous Monterey Bay and an awesome recreational trail that leads to Monterey's world famous aquarium and Cannery Row along the coastline in one direction and along the coastline to Asilomar Beach (you'll pass the PG Municipal Golf Links with the Point Pinos Lighthouse on the grounds) in the other directions.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

Thanks for your input. Many of your suggestions are quite a fine fit...though now because of family matters, it seems as if I may have to wait until 2009 to put them to use.

(Either way, Puter, we'd unfortunately miss the Chihuly exhibition. My husband and I admire his work enormously...last fall viewed a major installation of his at Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh.)

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

Three cheers! Family matters are resolved at least to the extent that yesterday I was able to book our flight to SFO for Oct. 18 with two nights at Hotel Bohème in North Beach, one at Captain's Inn in Moss Landing and three in the Arbor Room at Seven Gables in Pacific Grove. The last night we'll stay near SFO...maybe Inn at Oyster Point.

Now comes that fun part of fitting some of those fine TA suggestions of things to do into the week.

7. Re: 60-somethings in SF/coastal area Oct. 25 - Nov. 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 14:21