We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best places to eat in carmel

southern california
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best places to eat in carmel

heading up to our favorite Bed and Breakfast in carmel soon but never really found a restaurant that we must go back to....any suggestions??? any price range is ok as well as types of food.....what about desserts and a good cup of coffee to window shop around the village w/...??

1. Re: best places to eat in carmel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2005, 11:29
Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best places to eat in carmel

There is a great French bakery and eatery on a side street behind the Carmel Plaza, on a street perpendicular to Ocean. It is a little cottage store front with fancy indoor seating.

Then there is a great Oahacan (SP?) Mexican place called Chili Pepper's I think on Lincoln. They have great Margaritas, and nice atmosphere.

I would not suggest Flatheries (SP?) fish place. Just so-so food.

Casanova is OK for the price. My Scallops were OK pretty rich.They serve cheese, olives and bread before the meal, and big deserts so do not overdo it there. For example, tea comes with chocolates and cookies. beautiful ambiance.

You can get great spumoni ice cream at a place right outside the Carmel Plaza on Ocean.

For Breakfast I like the Swiss Chalet.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best places to eat in carmel

My favorites in Carmel are: Grasings (grasings.com), Caffe Napoli (excellent Italian), and Rio Grill (this one is at the Crossroads Center at Highway 1 and Rio Road, not in downtown Carmel, but worth the short drive). Carmel Plaza has a Carmel Valley Coffee Roasting Co. (although it may have changed its name)--they have excellent coffee and a small selection of pastries. Right next to Carmel Plaza is Patisserie Boissiere--their meals are just OK, but you can have French pastries and coffee there.

Level Contributor
35,225 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best places to eat in carmel

We really enjoyed our meal at Bouchee last May. Service, food and ambiance are all excellent. I enjoyed the tasting menu,it was all good there. :)

Casanova is also really nice. If you go to Pebble Beach, Roy's at sunset is wonderful. Listen to the bagpiper play there.

In PG,The White House & The Old Bath House are two of our favorites. If you go to the Carmel Highlands area, Pacific's Edge is very elegant and very nice with gorgeous views of the coastline from their dining room. Cheers! Oh, we love the cannoli at the Carmel bakery in downtown. Yummy!

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best places to eat in carmel

The name of the Mexican Restaurant in Carmel is Club Jalepeno, not Chille Peppers. Sorry.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best places to eat in carmel

I agree that Club Jalapeno is very good--just be warned that it is very small and gets very loud! Hard to have a conversation. If you do go, though, I recommend ordering the chips and guacamole.

California
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best places to eat in carmel

Breakfast = Katy's Place.

Level Contributor
35,225 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best places to eat in carmel

I've heard great things about Katy's Place, but haven't tried it yet. Our rooms usually include breakfast at the hotel. We will be in the area in December for four days, I hope to get over to Katy's. What's good to order there? We love Belgian waffles and eggs benedict. :)

San Anselmo
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best places to eat in carmel

Robata in The Barnyard section of the shopping center at Rio Rd. is the best Japanese food anywhere in N. Calif. We've been going there for about 20 years and were never disappointed. They have some creative dishes like Mushroom Madness in addition to the usual tempura and teriaki.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best places to eat in carmel

I have to 2nd Grasing's. We were in Carmel about a month ago. Not only had I read about it on TA before we left, but it was also recommended by a local artist who led a small group of us around on a walking tour of the town. The artichoke lasagna was good.