We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about staying in Carmel!!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
256 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about staying in Carmel!!

We are panning on staying for 2 nights in Carmel August 30 and 31st. We have been reading about different places to stay. The 2 that seem to come up alot are Lobos Inn and Tally Ho. Can anyone give suggestions about these 2 Inns or maybe another suggestion? Being close to town, have parking available and the ability to walk to the beach are some of the items we are looking for when choosing a place to stay.

Thanks Lary

Level Contributor
35,471 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about staying in Carmel!!

Lobos Lodge and Tally Ho are both nice properties in a great location. I toured Tally Ho, some of the rooms have been remodeled, they were very pretty. Another place you may want to consider is La Playa, a Historic Hotel with beautiful grounds and gardens. There is an outdoor pool at La Playa, a small day spa and a great restaurant, Terrace Grill.

We have stayed in both the oceanview room upstairs and the King Patio rooms downstairs, I preferred the King Patio room which opens out to the grounds, we love La Playa! :)

Edited: 12 March 2010, 16:30
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about staying in Carmel!!

I'd recommend Lamp Lighter Inn www.carmellamplighter.com

It's one of the inns that is closer to the beach and yet very handy to the downtown restaurants and shops. They offer free parking. I toured it last year and found the rooms to be pretty and very clean. There is a cute little courtyard area where you can sit with your coffee or a book. Have fun choosing!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about staying in Carmel!!

We've stayed in the Porpoise Room at the Lamp Lighter Inn. It's so cozy with the beautiful fireplace in the corner and private patio. We've stayed many places in Carmel, but I like the location of this Inn.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about staying in Carmel!!

If convenient foot access to the beach and business district are your priorities, Lobos Lodge and the Lamp Lighter are both good suggestions. Personally, I'd probably choose the latter because its more in the classic Carmel cozy style. You might also consider the Normandy Inn which is between the other two, and is also well-regarded hereabouts.

If you're looking for something a bit more formal, consider the Cypress Inn, a small hotel, and the aforementioned La Playa (though the latter is somewhat removed from the business district).

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about staying in Carmel!!

We just stayed at Lobos Lodge for two nights and were very happy. Our upstairs room was very large and had vaulted ceilings making it feel even larger. It also had a balcony with a peek of the ocean just a few blocks away. The rooms aren't brand new but they are very clean. Breakfast is included and delivered to the room but it's somewhat minimal (juice, fruit, muffin).

The Pine Inn is right next door and looked very cute so I would check that out as well as the Cypress Inn just a few blocks away. Cypress is very dog friendly if you like being around dogs in the hallways, bar, etc.

6. Re: Questions about staying in Carmel!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:18