We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel or Monterey ?

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Carmel or Monterey ?

I am planning to visit pebble beach on July 1st this year for a week, i have two sons 16 and 12, and would like some advice on accomadation. Carmel or Monterey which would be best suited for activities for teenage boys.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

Go with Monterey. Carmel is geared more for couples looking for a romantic getaway.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

Thanks for your reply,can you recommend a hotel in monterey ? We are then going to drive to pebble beach golf course and attempt to try to book t-times there, any advice on what to do in Monterey would be most appreciated.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

Hi Joswalk6,

Are you avid golfers? Will you have your clubs with you? Are you aware that Pebble Beach green fees are $525 per person or 344 GBP?

The July 1 week will include Sunday July 4 with a national holiday on July 5. So it is best to secure tee times before arriving. Is budget a major consideration?

Thanks,

SD

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

Yes we will have are own clubs with us, we arrive on the 1st of July and have to be back in Vegas for the 9th so i was considering staying in the Monterey area for a few days and trying to play pebble beach course.If we cant get t-times i was going to book into the Lodge Hotel for a couple of nights to get prefered t-times, Any advise on this plan would be appreciated.Do you know if the course does junior rates?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

Unfortunately there are no junior rates. The base rate at Pebble is $495 and Spyglass is $350. There are 2 night packages which include 2 nights at The Inn at Spanish Bay and 2 rounds from $2,700 to $3,500 dependent upon room view. Then for the other son the added golf charge is $845. This would also include a $400 resort credit (maybe a couple of hot dogs!).

Is it just the 3 of you?

Before I go any further, please take a look at this tournament offer from the NCGA:

http://www.ncga.org/_pdf/pb_invitation.pdf

I am not sure if the boys would be eligible to compete. Plus established handicaps would be required. But this package fits your timing, offers 3 nights plus 3 rounds with reception, dinner and buffet breakfast. This could be a lot of fun.

I know Ali White the coordinator. She is out today. IF you have an interest, I can contact her on your behalf. This would also involve becoming NCGA members for you and one of your sons. Probably about $70 each.

Anyway, any interest to pursue? If not, then I can recommend some other possibilities.

SD

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

Things to see/do on the Monterey Peninsula:

Monterey Bay Aquarium ( www.montereybayaquarium.org )

Cannery Row ( http://www.canneryrow.com/ )

Point Lobos State Reserve ( http://www.pointlobos.org/Information.html )

Elkhorn Slough Safari ( http://www.elkhornslough.com/ )

Laguna Seca Raceway ( http://www.mazdaraceway.com/ )

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

Adventures by the Sea rents bikes and kayaks. If your boys are interested, they offer guided kayak tours on the Bay. If the Lodge doesn't work out for you, consider The Clement Hotel on Cannery Row. It's brand-new, very modern. Some rooms have Bay views.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

Thanks for your feedback, we will probably give the tournament a miss, as i want the boys to do other things while were in town, we will arrive late on the night of the 1st July, then friday 2nd do probably some kayaking or visitig the Aquarium,bike riding, Saturday head for the beach or anything else the boys take a fancy too.Sunday 4th we would like to play golf somewere quiet ,a not so demanding course( could you advise).Then Monday other activities,Tuesday 6th book into Spanish inn, and go for the 2 night deal you suggested, to play Spyglass Hill, then Pebble Beach on Wednesday 7th..Do i book the golf package with the Spanish inn directly or a separate golf tour ? Can you advise a base for us to stay for the 5 nights before we head for the spanish inn, something around $150-$200 a night in an area were we can walk to amenities.Can you see any noticible flaws in this plan ? Your advise would be appreciated, just the 3 of us Ryan (12) Joseph(16) and weary Dad trying to entertain teenage boys. Cheers Joe

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

http://www.pggolflinks.com/

Nice course--much less expensive than Pebble Beach.

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carmel or Monterey ?

I would not miss the Monterey Bay Aquarium, it's amazing! Monterey would be a very nice place to stay with your famly, you can visit Carmel from there, it's just a few minutes away. We have done the kayaking with Adventures by the Sea, I highly recommend it. Old Fisherman's Wharf is also fun, there are boat rides that leave from the wharf there.

We will be in Monterey this weekend with our family to celebrate Mother's Day, can't wait! :)