We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft. Ord mountain Biking

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Topic
Ft. Ord mountain Biking

Hello, I was wondering if someone could tell me of any "Easy" trails within Ft. Ord? I like to ride but am not in shape for strenous climbs?

I see a lot of the old building are being demolished, to bad history is being torn down and see where one should be aware of unexploded ordinaces. Can I ride down by the beach in Ord?

Does Laguna Seca have trails?

Thank you in advance!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ft. Ord mountain Biking

First, a point of clarification. There's two different places referred to as Fort Ord. One is the Fort Ord Dunes State Park and the other is the Fort Ord Public Lands.

Info on Fort Ord Dunes State Park is here:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=580

You can't ride on the beach at Fort Ord Dunes State Park, but there is a lovely, and very wide, four-mile road that goes through the dunes and occasionally has ocean views. Access on the southern end is via the Monterey Bay Coastal Recreation Trail right by Sand City. I'm not 100% sure of the access point on the northern end, but the link above has some directions! I go riding at Fort Ord Dunes State Park often. I'm pretty out-of-shape, and I find it really enjoyable. There's only one tough climb that I can think of. Bring a repair kit, though - if you get a flat out there it can be a loooooong walk for help.

Fort Ord Public Lands is separated from Fort Ord Dunes State Park by a chunk of the towns Marina and Seaside. You can access paved trails through the park from Gigling and 8th in Marina. I've ridden there several times and really enjoyed it.

We have some info here, including a write-up, a link to a trail map and an interactive map of a ride through Fort Ord Public Lands (although I'll warn you in advance, that ride has what I found to be some killer hills):

seemonterey.com/marina-california/fort-ord-p…

We also have write-ups of a couple of different Fort Ord Public Lands bike rides here, including one that's pretty easy: seemonterey.com/top-10-bike-rides-monterey-c…

You can also access trails into Fort Ord Public Lands from Laguna Seca. Technically the trails are on the Fort Ord Public Lands; the Laguna Seca Recreation Area is officially the raceway, the campgrounds and the rifle and pistol range. (But if you hang out on the bike sites, you'll see a lot of people don't make that distinction.) www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/lagunaseca.html

I hope this helps. Please tell me if you have any more questions. I bike around here a lot, but I'm also pretty out-of-shape and I'm not a very confident biker - so if I can do the ride, I'm pretty sure anyone could!

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ft. Ord mountain Biking

Thank you VERY much, I was afraid no one would respond. What fantastic links! I imagine there is a fee to get into this new park by the old Stillwell place? I have a friend who was stationed at Ft. Ord and was shocked to hear Stillwell was torn down, couldn't save it from the encroaching ocean I imagine. I heard of the effort to save the historic Vet hospital on Ord as well hope that is succesful.

Any chance of finding a Hotel/Motel anywhere in this area under $100.00 a night?

Maybe I'll see ya out on the trail, I ride a Specialized Rockhopper hardtail.

PS I also checked out Toro Park, looks very nice. Funny, we have a baseball team here in Tucson named the Toros. They play tonight.

PPS, please everyone don't judge AZs' stupid immigration law by our wierd Governor, not many people like her.

Thanks again :-)

Edited: 13 May 2010, 19:54
Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
871 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ft. Ord mountain Biking

there is no fee at the stillwell lot

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ft. Ord mountain Biking

Sorry - I didn't see this until just now!

As Roadwork said, there's no fee to get into the Stillwell lot. And you're exactly right on why Stillwell was demolished - this link has photos of where it was perched that are pretty jaw-dropping:

ahtnagov.com/portfolio/…20Demolition.pdf

Marina has a number of hotels and very nice motels that are in your price range (depending on the weekend - for certain events they'll obviously be booked up). Here's a list of all the hotels near that area:

http://www.seemonterey.com/members/?c=1&cat=3&region[]=Marina&x=608&y=12&=Submit

I hope this helps - and I'll keep an eye out for your bike!

5. Re: Ft. Ord mountain Biking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 05:16