We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in the area and what to do?

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville,Ontario Can
Level Contributor
125 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in the area and what to do?

My friend and I are looking for adventure in the Carmel, Monterey, Santa Barbara area. We have four days and we'd like to shop and hike but are also looking to get off the beaten path and have some adventure.I have been searching online and have not found too many interesting things to do and honestly, I think I am not really sure about how far one town is from the next. Does one park themselves in Carmel and then visit the other two places during the day? Are they just a few minutes away from one another? We'd like to find a great place to stay but with all the reviews it appears while one has the most incredible experience somewhere there is another who ranks the same place as the worst accomodation they ever had. Help. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in the area and what to do?

Carmel & Monterey are minutes from each other, while Santa Barbara is a good 5+ hours away and NOT a day trip.

Things to do in the Monterey/Carmel area:

Point Lobos State Reserve ( http://www.pointlobos.org/Information.html ) for hiking and enjoying the beauty of the coast.

The world class Monterey Bay Aquarium ( www.montereybayaquarium.org )

Day trip to Big Sur ( www.bigsurcalifornia.org )

17 Mile Drive ( Home to Pebble Beach and the Lone Cypress Tree)

Walk on Carmel by the Sea's beautiful white sand beach.

What do you want in accommodations? Modern, traditional, budget, upscale?

www.aliveistheair.com

Edited: 22 May 2010, 03:08
Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in the area and what to do?

santafefreak, does this appeal to you?

www.treebonesresort.com

It goes to, at least by my definition, as an adventure and something different.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in the area and what to do?

This is definitely off the beaten path! http://www.sfzc.org/tassajara/

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in the area and what to do?

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Santa Barbara is in the same area as Monterey and Carmel. Did you possibly mean Santa Cruz? Santa Cruz is about 45 minutes north of Monterey. Santa Barbara is 5 hours (via Highway 101) south, closer to LA.

I'm also surprised your internet search did not present many interesting things to do. The Monterey Peninsula is loaded with beautiful parks, spectacular beaches, art galleries, unique shops, fantastic restaurants, historic sites, the aquarium and museums, whale watching tours, kayaking, bicycling, live theater and occasional big-name entertainment, and more. Santa Cruz has the famous Beach Boardwalk amusement park, and other attractions.

I suggest you look over my Monterey Peninsula Visitors Guide for specific ideas. www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/mryintro.htm

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

carmel
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in the area and what to do?

My staff has been busy looking for things to do in the past few weeks.

So far they have went; Sky Diving, Horseback Riding, Off Road Driving with Land Rovers, Golfing, Kayaking and one had a Surf lesson. I had some guests go out for a Sunset Sail (they loved it)out of Monterey.

Monterey is well known for the diving and their are a few shops in the area that will take you out. Laguna Seca has an Auto Racing School. Whale Watching and Sport Fishing are both offered of the Wharf. Garland Park is a great place for hiking and if you want a pretty aggresive hike check out Sobranes Point. The Movie Tour is always a cool thing to consider. Carmel has three very unique and charming Libraries.

Google " seven wonders of monterey" that will lead you to a good list of what this area has to offer.

Enjoy

6. Re: 4 days in the area and what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 05:17