We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
146 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

We left San Francisco around noon and drove south to Carmel. When we got hungry for lunch, we used our iphone Yelp application and located Nonno’s Pizza and Pasta in Redwood Estates along Highway 17. Nothing fancy, but good sandwiches and pasta.

We rented a small house in Carmel. After checking in, we went to the local Safeway and picked up some breakfast foods and snacks for our stay. We had dinner that night at Dametra Café – a greek restaurant on Ocean St. The staff was very friendly and the food was good. The chef came out of the kitchen and lead the entire restaurant in singing a Greek happy birthday song to one of the diners. It was really fun.

We spent the next morning window shopping in Carmel and then grabbed some sandwiches and soup at Bruno’s deli and market for lunch which we took across the street to the park and ate. The food was surprisingly good and a lot less expensive than most of the places in Carmel. It looked like most of the customers at Bruno’s were locals, not tourists like us.

We then drove to Monterey and then south along the coast until we entered the 17-mile drive. We stopped several times along the drive for photos and visited the Pebble Beach Golf club. We took the Carmel exit and drove to the Carmel Mission.

My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary that evening at Casanova’s in Carmel. We had a great time, but it was pricier than we are used to. Total bill for 4, including wine and tip, was $300.

The next morning we packed a picnic lunch and went to Point Lobos Park. We had a blast! This is such a beautiful place. We spent 4 or 5 hours hiking the coastline and took a lot of great photos. In the afternoon we headed over to the Tuesday Monterey Street Market. We spent a couple of hours walking the market and bought kettle corn, barbeque, olive oil, various fresh baked goods, fried calamari, fresh squeezed fruit drinks, fruit, and dessert crepes. Lots of fun.

We went back to our house, picked up a bottle of wine, some cheese and fruit, and then headed to the Carmel beach to watch the sun set. We lucked out because there were 4 or 5 dolphins in the bay that evening. One of the locals told us she had lived in Carmel for 32 years and had never seen dolphins before. It was really cool. My only regret is that we did not come prepared to build a camp fire on the beach like others were doing.

The next morning we headed to Cambria via the Big Sur coastline.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Thank you for the great trip report. It sounds as though you used your time well. I'm so glad that you enjoyed Point Lobos--it truly is a special place! Happy anniversary. Come back soon!

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Sounds perfect! We love Casanova and Demetra Cafe. Carmel has been one of our favorite destinations for a long, long time. This past May we were there on Mother's Day and had a memorable meal at Cantinetta Luca. Thanks for the report back! :)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Happy 25th Anniversary! What a nice way you are spending it, traveling with your family. Carmel is where we spent our Honeymoon and many Anniversaries. The coast there is gorgeous.

Looks like you are heading to Cambria for your next report.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Great trip report, makes me want to go again. Carmel just has that special something extra. Happy anniversary!

Orlando, Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Great report. Thanks for posting. We're totally stealing your itinerary for our trip to Carmel next week:)

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Nice trip report! We are going next June and looking for the right lodging. Can you tell me about the house you rented? I have been perusing listings on vrbo.

Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
146 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Here is a link to the house, really more like an apartment, that we rented in Carmel. We liked it a lot.

http://www.vrbo.com/287690

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

>>When we got hungry for lunch, we used our iphone Yelp application and located Nonno’s Pizza and Pasta in Redwood Estates along Highway 17. Nothing fancy, but good sandwiches and pasta.<<

Amazing. I have lived in Santa Cruz for more years than you want to know and passed the turnoff sign for Redwood Estates hundreds, if not thousands of times.

I just assumed there was nothing there. And you found a pizza place?

You must be the only tourists Redwood Estates has seen in centuries <grin>.

Iphone yelp is going to change the world <giggle>.

Loved your trip report. It sounds as if you "know how to do it".

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
146 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

That's funny because that is exactly how it felt. We were out in the middle of nowhere, and the food was actually really good. We are big fans of both Yelp and Trip Advisor and use them both when we plan our trips.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Carmel, July 2010

Since you are probably the only tourists in years to stop at Redwood Estates, as I said, you might be interested in reading some of this.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=Redwood+Estates

The next time we pass, I will definitely go into the area and explore. Thanks for heads up to a "supposed local".