We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Restaurants

California
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Cheap Restaurants

Does anybody recommend any restaurants that won't break you in Carmel? Some of the dinner entrees run $30 or more. I would be happy to pay $20 or less for a dinner entree. It doesn't have to be fancy, just good food. I will be happy to go to Pacific Grove or Monterey if I have to.

Edited: 07 May 2011, 00:49
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,447 posts
6,008 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Restaurants

Red Hat Cafe in Pacific Grove has good food - reasonable prices. It is a local favorite.

http://redhousecafe.com/

lf you want to have ok food - with an awesome view - there is always fisherman wharf area. Rappa's is at the end of the wharf area - and has good prices and service; great views. Food is average but reasonable cost. They run an early bird special as well. You usually can watch sea lions playing while enjoying your meal; and watch the boats. Locals tend to shy away from the area - tourists flock to this area. Each restaurant competes for your business by offering you free samples of clam chowder as you walk to the end of the wharf. This is also the area where you can line up a whale watch or bay trip before dinner - and then have dinner here.

http://www.rappas.com/

California
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Restaurants

Thanks for the tips on the restaurants. I didn't know they had a whale watch tour. How long are they normally? An hour or two?

Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Restaurants

Peppers Mexican in Pacific Grove. Good food and you can dine cheaply. Also, the Red House mentioned above. A picnic at Pt. Lobos catching the sunset is wonderful too. Bruno's (downtown Carmel) and Safeway (Crossroads shopping center) both have fine picnic supplies.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,748 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Restaurants

If you want seafood, the locals highly recommend Massaro & Santos on the Coast Guard Pier. Fishwife in PG is another good option near Asilomar Beach.

Pepper's Mexicali Cafe in PG is one of my faves, as is Michael's Taqueria, which is located in the Country Club Gate shopping center.

You can do restaurant & menu research for the area at:

www.clickondining.com

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,447 posts
6,008 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Restaurants

Here is more on the whale watch tour

montereywharf.com/index.php…

They generally go out for a couple of hours (2 hours). Rappa is within 1 minute walk from there. Last time we went out we saw whales for about an hour - it takes about 20 minutes to go to where you first start to see them. of course, luck and time of year are factors also.

We enjoyed it.

Level Contributor
36,372 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Restaurants

We also love Red House Cafe in PG. Fishwife has some really yummy Crab Tostaditos there. If you like pizza, Little Napoli in Carmel does really delicious ones. We dined there for Mother's Day last year after a night in Monterey at the Plaza Hotel. Schooner's Bistro is the casual venue there you may also enjoy. You will have pretty water views at Schooner's. Fish Tacos and Key Lime Pie are really good there. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Restaurants

Sea Harvest (restaurant and fish market) at the corner of Foam and Hoffman Sts. in Monterey is very reasonably priced. I especially like their grilled salmon sandwich.

I second the suggestions of Michael's Taqueria--fresh Mexican food at good prices--and Red House Cafe (prices at lunch are better than at dinner)

California
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Restaurants

Thanks guys for the wonderful tips. I just realized that I get free breakfast at the green lantern inn, so that will save some money. Although, I am considering eating at the Little Swiss Cafe and getting the egg benedict. I'm also going to Bruno's for lunch at least once when I go to Point Lobos. I'm also considering if I should pack my lunch when I go to the 17 mile drive or eat at Roy's. For dinner, I would like to go to Little Napoli and get the Canola. I want to try eating at Demetra if it's not too busy. And, maybe the california market for the wonderful views. Of course, I will plan a day in Monterey. I want to eat at Schooner's Bistro for lunch in Monterey. They have a crab melt with crab salad, swiss cheese, tomatoe on a sourdough garlic bread. Doesn't that sound devine! Not sure about the whale watch. I think May is a little late.

Monterey, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Restaurants

Peninsula secret - short ride to Seaside for Vietnamese food @ Noodle Bar, Chopstix, or Pho King. Entrees fresh, tasty, healthy and $5-$7 per entree. Leave the tourists and join the locals.

Monterey, California
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Restaurants

Since you're not entirely sure about going whale watching in May, here's some information to help you decide. Personally, I would recommend whale watching.

Here's a link which has a count of all the sightings from last May. It is listed by date, number of sightings and the animal sighted. This may help you decide if you would like to go whale watching in May.

montereybaywhalewatch.com/sightings/slst1005…

From April through December, Monterey Bay becomes a feeding ground for Blue Whales, Humpback Whales, Blue Whales, Minke Whales, Fin Whales, you might even see Orcas (Killer Whales). Other marine life you might spot are Dolphins, Porpoises, Sea Otters, Sea Lions, Harbor Seals, and all different types of birds.

Also, there are some tips on what to bring, what to wear and what to expect if you haven't been whale watching in the Monterey area. There are links to whale watching companies in Monterey and Moss Landing. Hope you enjoy!!

seemonterey.com/tourist-activities/family-ad…

I work for the Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau, it is my job to make sure you enjoy your trip to the area.

Get answers to your questions about Carmel