We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

Going to Carmel for just one night - we are local but having an extended "date" night. Reading about both places - anybody have additional insights, they both sound great! Rooms better at one place, Breakfast better at one vs. the other, wine and cheese, etc.

Thanks for any advise.

Erica

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

Hi Erica,

I haven't stayed at either place (yet) but I looked into both of them when I was doing my research.

From what I read, the Highlands is a bigger hotel that also has timeshare units. The view would be almost identical to that of the TPI since they are next door to each other.

I ended up going with the TPI as my choice because it's smaller, more intimate, romantic (sunset wine and cheese receptions daily, journals in every room that you can read through and add your own personal entry, chocolate and champagne waiting in your room at check in, etc). There were just a lot of nice little touches to the TPI that sounded nice to me.

You'd have to check with each hotel, but there might be a 2 night minimum stay, on weekends at least.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I'd recommend reading the reviews for both places, there is a lot of great information there.

Good luck!

Northern CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

Oh thank you - I would agree with you and hope that a Friday night stay is okay without the 2 night min.

Keeping fingers crossed so we can have a nice romantic night away!

Northern CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

okay, Tickle Pink or La Playa Hotel?

Level Contributor
35,019 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

I've stayed at all three places, so feel free to ask any questions. Our last stay at the Highland's was in December for three nights. We loved it, we were in under the Timeshare for $70/night. The property is very nice, we had stayed there a couple of times before and love the area.

Tickle Pink is more hotel-like, not as resorty as Highland's Inn. It was also very nice, but no restaurants, pool, etc.

La Playa is right in Carmel proper which is very nice. It is a historic hotel on the National Register and we just loved it. The grounds and gardens here are beautiful, the service is warm and friendly and there is a great restaurant, the Terrace Grill. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these properties, it just depends on what appeals to you. Have fun! :)

Level Contributor
35,019 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

Oh, the wine and cheese reception at Tickle Pink was very nice! Held in a terrace room with beautiful views of the ocean. The breakfast is also very nice, included in your room price. Hard decision! :)

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

Syrahgirl, that is a phenomenal price! Where did you find it? I've stayed at the Highlands Inn many times in November and December, but not for less than $175 in a long time. Since they've made some of the townhouses timeshare, it's seemed harder to get even that price on their hotel website.

Level Contributor
35,019 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

It was actually $79/night, my bad. We were invited to the Timeshare. We had to listen to a 90 minute presentation the second day which was painless, maybe even interesting. You are free to go after exactly 90 minutes, we stayed a little longer since we were interested.

We also received $150 to spend at the resort where we had a very nice dinner at Pacific's Edge. I was wondering how it would be with the new chef there (no more Rick Edge) and it was better than ever! Hope this helps! :)

Northern CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

Sounds like the TPI is a bit more on the romantic side...since we live an hour away, and have been to Carmel/Monterey numerous times, I was looking for something "special". Would you all agree that the TPI is the one for us?

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

The Highlands Inn has fireplaces and jacuzzis big enough for two. I don't know if the Tickle Pink has. Some reviews make the Highlands Inn sound very big, in contrast. It doesn't seem that way. It has the "lodge" part with reception, the two restaurants and small shop, and then the rooms are along a winding road in the trees.

Still phenomenal, Syrahgirl.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink?

The TPI does have some rooms/suites with fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs as well. There is also a jacuzzi out on the main deck as well.