We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
68 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

We have secured a two-night reservation at L'Auberge, and everyone that has responded has wonderful things to say about it. Likewise, we have heard great reviews for Tickle Pink, the setting is absolutely spectacular, and we can get an ocean view room with balcony. I do realize that Tickle Pink is somewhat remote and will require a drive to get to those areas where restaurants, shops, etc. are located. The views on the Tickle Pink website are breathtaking, and am thinking that the bit of additional travel to an from it might be worth it, though we have high expectations for the L'Auberge and do like the fact that we would be within walking distance of civilization. So, what say everyone? I need some thoughtful nudging one way or the other :). Thanks.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,397 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

You're coming in July, which is our fog season along the coast, so an ocean view room may not live up to your expectations. As a rule, the fog is most prevalent in the morning and evening hours. It usually burns off or retreats by mid morning to early afternoon, but there can be days when it doesn't budge at all.

I would go with the L'Auberge option and enjoy being in the thick of Carmel's quaintness. If you find yourself there with a sunny day, then perhaps lunch at the Highlands Inn would give you a taste of that glorious view.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 19:31
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

I agree with Kibblesmom. To be honest, I have never seen the rooms at either hotel, but there are many places to get great views (Highlands Inn, Point Lobos (well worth visiting), walking along the recreation trail in Pacific Grove, driving down to (or from) Big Sur, from Carmel Beach, etc.). It's so nice and relaxing to walk out your door and stroll to a restaurant for dinner. That's just my take on it.

Level Contributor
35,446 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

We have stayed twice at TIckle Pink Inn, the views are spectacular there. I would go for TPI, we love rooms with views. :).

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

I'm not sure this is a decision we can really help you with. You really can't go wrong with either place. It all depends on what's most important to you.

Your choices boil down to this: (1) A dramatic but isolated setting or (2) a pleasant and convenient spot.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,525 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

Our feeling is that the view from the Tickle Pink is amazing and one could sit and watch it for hours (if there is no Fog) but the rooms at the L'Auberge are better as is the proximity to Carmel

As far as the food at the Auberge there is no comparison to the ok breakfast at Tickle Pink. Just one family's opinion.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

I stayed at L'Auberge but was torn between that and Tickle Pink. I loved L'Auberge and am planning another trip there. I do not like the idea of the remoteness of Tickle Pink or that fact that it is next to the highway. The service at L'Auberge is perfection!

7. Re: L'Auberge Carmel, Relais & Chateaux vs. Tickle Pink

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:15