We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Anniversary with a Dog

San Jose...
2 posts
Save Topic
First Anniversary with a Dog

We are coming to Carmel next weekend- Memorial Day weekend to celebrate our first anniversary. We couldnt find anyone to watch our dog so she gets to come. We are staying at the Carmel River inn and would like suggestions on dog friendly restaurants nearby. We both are major foodies and I am hoping that the restaurants that are dog friendly will please us.

Also hiking or other sugestions of outings we can do with our dog would be greatly appreciated.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

I can't name any dog friendly restaurants specifically, but I know there are several in downtown Carmel, and possibly in the Crossroads or The Barnyard shopping centers within walking distance of your motel.

I believe, however, that state health laws limit canine access to outdoor seating areas. If you want to eat indoors you'll have to make other arrangements.

The perfect outdoor dining area is the beach! There's a Safeway across the highway from your motel where you can get take-out meals for a picnic.

As for walking and hiking areas this page on my website has several suggestions: www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/walking.htm

Oh, and dogs can be off leash on Carmel City Beach as long as they're under voice control. All other beaches, leashes are mandatory.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 18 May 2012, 06:06
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

Try Basil or Casanova, both have patios and some of the better food we've tried as far as dog friendly restaurants go. Carmel Belle has 3 dog tables inside as well as outdoor seating and is good for salads/sandwiches/charcuterie. You can also eat indoors (or on the patio) at Terry's Lounge at the Cypress Inn. There will likely be lots of other dogs there and it can be fun but we haven't found the food to be that great.

As mentioned, Carmel city beach is a great place to take your dog and we like Garland Ranch park in Carmel Valley too.

If you enjoy wine tasting, almost all of the downtown and Carmel Valley tasting rooms are dog friendly.

We're heading up with our dog on Sunday. Enjoy!

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

This lists a bunch of restaurants that are dog friendly:

dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,720 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

Every time I see the title of this thread, I picture a one year anniversary of owning a dog. I wonder what one would do to celebrate a full year of dog ownership. (We've had our dog for only 4 months & 5 days, so I have a long time to plan our one year celebration.)

{Yes, I know that isn't what the OP is asking, but the title just gives me a different image!}

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

@PNW - I was thinking same thing. Mine w/dog was 4 yrs last weekend, when I was in the Carmel/Monterey area.

I will say the one place/park you cannot even drive into with a dog in the vehicle is Point Lobos Reserve. Everywhere else I went last weekend everyone seemed to have a dog.

If you go up to Moss Landing, there is also an off leash dog beach just past Phil's Fish Market (off Moss Landing to about the end of Sandholt Road). Not a very long drive from Carmel to get there.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

Some of the restaurants listed on dogfriendly.com are no longer operational. Le Coq d'Or closed a couple of years ago. Carmel Food Company closed last month, sadly. That was our favorite dog friendly restaurant in Carmel. And Bistro 211 is the name of the restaurant where Carmen's Place used to be. It's still dog friendly but I haven't eaten there.

Level Contributor
35,226 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

We dined at Casanova last night and there were diners with their pets at the tables out in the front. Portabella is also pet-friendly with very good food. :)

Edited: 19 May 2012, 18:16
Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

Terry's lounge wonderful drinks (martinis made by the tall blond), food (small plates) and dogs a plenty. No I do not work there

9. Re: First Anniversary with a Dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:41