We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

Arcadia...
9 posts
Save Topic
Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

My wife and I plan a long weekend trip from Los Angeles to Carmel where we'll stay 3 days. Please suggest option for different routes, including the pros and cons. Thanks :)

Joseph

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

If I were only going for a long weekend, speed would be my priority so I would go north on I-5 and cut across west on CA 152.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,410 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

Welcome to Trip Advisor. You are asking us to write pros and cons about routes. Wow. We work best with folks who have done some research and have come back to us with some options and then ask for advise. What route do you want to take ? Hwy 5 the boring route or Hwy 101 which is through Santa barbara and SLO and then to the Monterey Peninsula or do you want to take 1 from SLO and see the Big Sur ? that route would need an over night in the Cambria area

Have you looked at the Top Questions on the California forum ? There are 4 there that talk about this drive

Arcadia...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

Having assessed various suggestion from the forum, I short list my intended routes to 2 :

1. I 5 North then turn West onto 152 > 156 .... or

2. I 5 North then turn West onto 46 toward paso Robles, then turn North onto 101....

Do you have any tips or advices regarding driving on the highway 46 ( around 65 mile )

Thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

The I-5 option has never made sense to me. You drive north up through the San Joaquin Valley several miles inland and then cut across some 2 lane 55 MPH highway to get over to Highway 101 to get to Monterey.

The path of least resistance is Highway 101 all the way to Salinas and cutting over via Highway 68. Highway 101 is all multi lane 65/70 MPH highway. 46, 152, 156 aremostly 2 lane, 55 MPH roads.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

I concur with Kibblesmom. I-5 is boooooring! 101 offers the best combination of speed and decent scenery.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Arcadia...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

Thanks for your advice and suggestion to take 101 route.

7. Re: Options to drive from Los Angeles to Carmel, CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Carmel
Recent Conversations