We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in an afternoon.

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in an afternoon.

We will be staying in Santa Cruz, but will tour Carmel and Monterey one day. I will have my two sons, ages 20 and 17. Not sure what to do in Carmel fo 3-4 hours other than walk around and see how pretty it is and then have a bite to eat. Is there anything in particular that is a "must see". We will be going to the Monterey Aquarium, so was wanting to know if there is something similar to do in Carmel that would be interesting to them. Thanks for the suggestions.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

Hi,

I think of Carmel as a romantic place to stay in a B&B inn so not a place to "tour" with teenagers. There's the scenic drive that you pay to take but not sure I'd ever want to do that.

You may feel differently?

Monterey has the aquarium and then there's the Elkhorn Slough between Monterey and Santa Cruz which would probably be much more interesting:

http://www.elkhornslough.com/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

Did you kids have a look at travel sites and decide what they want to do and see ? Our kids are teens and we get them to do a bit of the research so it is a joint set of activities . Elkhorn Slough is a great idea. Another option is to just drive through Ocean Avenue in Carmel -- spend a few minutes at Carmel beach and head to Point Lobos just south of Carmel for a hike.

Do 20 year olds and 17 year olds find Aquariums cool ?

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

I have had all the cities/towns catalogs out for months and they won't touch them! They'll probably look at them while they are there. The 17 year old is the one pushing for the aquarium. Maybe we'll just stop in Carmel for lunch and walk around for awhile before heading to our hotel in Santa Cruz. I"m going to check into elkhornslough. Thanks.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

Well they may not want to read catalogues but usually teens will go on the internet to do research so maybe suggest that to them. I suppose all teens are different but the ones I know have very definite ideas of what they'd enjoy and what they would absolutely hate!

Maybe yours are just easy going and don't really care???

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

How about hiking a few of the trails in Point Lobos State Reserve a few miles south of Carmel? Lots of interesting scenery and wildlife viewing. Carmel is geared more toward couples, than teens. Although, if your kids are at all interested in history, a tour of the California mission in Carmel might be of interest. But I'm thinking that Cannery Row might be more to their liking. Lots of shops with cool stuff for kids.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 17:09
Level Contributor
34,451 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

In Monterey is Adventures By The Sea, you could rent kayaks there, it's lots of fun. Monterey is geared more for teens than Carmel. Old Fisherman's Wharf is also fun. :).

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

Thanks all. I do have the Carmel Mission on a To do list. I think it would be interesting to see that history, and they might even be up for mass before lunch. Probably not...but we'll see.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

Carmel has lots of interesting shops, art galleries of all sorts, a huge variety of great restaurants, unique architecture, one of California's most important historic sites (the Carmel Mission), and two of the most spectacular beaches on the planet.

More than enough to fill 3-4 hours.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,708 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

Since you will be staying in Santa Cruz, here is a traveler article describing activities while you are here.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

When is the trip? Have you found a hotel in Santa Cruz?

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in an afternoon.

Thanks Puter. We are staying at The Seaway Inn.