We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel, things to do with kids please!

singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Carmel, things to do with kids please!

Staying at Carmel next week for 3 nights. Have two boys (12 and 9) and we want to just chill out and relax. Have looked at some surfing lessons for them but any other recommendation? Happy to bike ride, play tennis etc. looking at going to the aquarium in Monterey. Any ideas on what would keep the kids happy or what is worth seeing welcome, thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,248 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

Will you be visiting Pt Lobos? Light hiking and animal viewing.

Whale watching cruise

Biking along the recreation path in Monterey

A little further north to Elkhorn Slough for pontoon or kayaking. Or just pull over to look at the otters and seals.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

good ideas above. Kayaking may be a great way to get some water activities in. Have the kids surfed with wetsuits ? This part of the CA coast has waters that do need wetsuits. You may want to surf in Southern California if this is the first time you are doing it given that you mention lessons

The Santa Cruz beach boardwalk is great and about 45 minutes North. Water in SC is relatively less cool and may be a better spot for your water activities. Elkhorn Slough is on the way

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Santa Cruz Beach...
3,009 Reviews
Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

The aquarium is definitely worth seeing and Pt. Lobos in Carmel. :).

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
974 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

There are lots of whales feeding out in the bay right now. Moss Landing seems to be experiencing a good population, so consider a whale watching trip from there.

Carmel Beach

Stop at Pezzini Farms on your way to Santa Cruz for some deep-fried artichoke hearts. The exit is well marked when you are heading north from the Monterey area.

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,378 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

Surfing is more of a Santa Cruz thing, not something you see around Monterey/Carmel. Carmel is geared more toward couples, while Monterey is better for families. At least the two towns are just minutes apart, so it's okay to stay in one and play in the other.

The following link offers additional family friendly activities:

www.seemonterey.com/things-to-do/family/

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,248 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

But don't be concerned about staying in a "couples" place. We see many kids and teens in Carmel. Carmel Beach has some of the nicest powdery white sand in the area. Great for hanging out and "chilling" if the weather is nice. Bring a blanket to sit on the slope dune to watch the sunset if the weather cooperates then walk back up Ocean for ice cream and dessert.

I always remind people to bring a flashlight to Carmel. It is DARK after sunset because of very few streetlights (on purpose). But it is very very dark if you are walking away from Ocean. I don't know how folks to trip as some of the sidewalks are lifted by the tree roots. It is a one of the "charm" of the town but I just remember to bring a light so I can see walking around.

Not sure if you saw these, but here is recent TR from a family with teens

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g580824-i10632-k76…

Edited: 25 July 2014, 16:37
Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

Thanks Folks, that all sounds grand and just what we are looking for - getting excited just reading your great ideas! The kids have never surfed before and I assume wet suits will be provided. We will be staying five days in Santa. Barbara , would that be better for surfing?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
55,893 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

5 days in Santa barbara ? Family, friends ? Where else in CA are you going on the Coast ? But with 5 days in SB yes that would be a better place given the 5 days there .

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

Carmel beach sand has the perfect texture for building sand castles or hand-digging tunnels (my favorite childhood activity there).

Lake El-Estero just east of downtown Monterey has paddleboat rentals.

And of course you don't want to miss Dennis the Menace playground, also at Lake El Estero.

There's a great toy store in downtown Carmel called Thinker Toys (corner of San Carlos and 7th). There are no electronic gadgets in their inventory. Just real toys (except me, I'm not for sale!). They usually have a great selection of kites to take to the beach.

More info on this page of mine www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/kids.htm

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,248 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carmel, things to do with kids please!

The ferris wheel at Tinker Toys is pretty awesome. Is it made of Erector Set?

Not to be a wet blanket and all.... but be careful with the sand and cave/tunnel digging. A young man lost his life this week a little ways north at Half Moon Bay when his sand cave collapsed on him. But it sounds like it was a very deep tunnel. This has happened many times elsewhere

washingtonpost.com/news/…

Mentioned in this post
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California