We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a week in carmel/monterrey

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
a week in carmel/monterrey

Staying in Carmel looking to explore but still have down time. Not big hikers but like views,good food and wine.Here are my thoughts for week:

Day1-Go to Monterey- fisherman's festival ,fishermans wharf, back to Carmel to Galante Wine tasting( group on) then dinner reservation at Cantinetta Luca

Day 2- Carmel by the Sea- shopping, Carmel Beach Park,Courtyard tour,city hall,pick up lunch at Brunos and head to Chateau Julian for wine tasting and picnic

Day3-Monterey Bay Aquarium,Cannery Row,lunch at Fish Hopper,Farmers Market

Day 4-Pacific Coast Highway drive to Cambria and back 101 to Carmel( all day)

Day 5-Point Lobos Reserve, Carmel Mission,Anniversary dinner at Mission Ranch

Day 6-Pacific Grove-17 mile drive,lunch at Red House Cafe, Lovers Pt. & Lighthouse, Asilomar Beach, last night dinner in Carmel at Dametra's.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

Driving all the way diwn to Cambria will make it a very long day. You can play it by ear and turn around when it starts getting late.

Check out the artractions at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182762/Califo…

If uou really are ibto wine tasting, consider spending 1-2 nights in Cambria do you can spend more time on the drive. Then do more wine tasting in Paso Robles. In the way back, drive 101 and consider a quick stop at Pinnacles NP

Edited: 06 August 2014, 06:03
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
5,487 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

Your itinerary sounds nice

I agree about the Big Sur stretch

A very nice day trip and very scenic is to drive to Pfeiffer State Park and then return to Monterey/Carmel.

We have done that many times and had a very enjoyable day ...and included some times lunch along the way or a hike.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=570

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

My plan was to stop at Pfeiffer Park for the short trail to falls then continue down to Cambria to Moonstone Beach and marketplace then head back 101. We have reservations in Carmel for the week so staying somewhere another night wouldn't work. I was figuring with stops about an 8 hour day.Probably won't do any wine tasting with all the driving that day! Thanks for your suggestions.

Level Contributor
35,256 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

Your plans look really good, you have made some excellent restaurant choices! We had lunch at Fish Hopper in June, you can make a reservation there on opentable. They have really good clam chowder in a bread bowl there. Cantinetta Luca is very good in Carmel, Little Napoli is another favorite of ours for Italian food in Carmel. Enjoy your trip! :)

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

I should have taken your advice. We did the drive to Canbria and should have turned around after Julia Pfieffer Park and went and had lunch on way back to Carmel. It was a long drive and mostly foggy. We came back 101 though and loved seeing the vineyard countryside so not a total loss.What we did see of PCH was beautiful.

United States
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

We took the same drive last week and turned around because of fog. We didn't have time for the aquarium, but I wondered what you thought of it. We have been to many aquariums, including Atlanta's, so decided to skip it. We were a bit disappointed with Cannery Row. It did not have the quaintness that the name suggested to us.

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

If you have kids the aquarium would probably be better but its very expensive imo for what it is. There were some neat exhibits but I felt $40pp was too much. Then trying to time shows etc just didn't work for us. We were done in two hours and didn't see any shows.My husband wanted to see the local marine life and he seemed to enjoy it more than I. I agree about Cannery Row though it was much better than Old Fisherman's Wharf which was trashy.If you go back, Pacific Grove is a neat little town and eat at Red House Cafe.

United States
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

Glad we skipped the aquarium then. No kids with us. We did the 17 mile drive thing, so did see Pacific Grove. We probably did not spend enough time there, as we had a lot planned for that day, and moved on.

Thanks for reply.

Level Contributor
35,256 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

What were your thoughts on 17 Mile Drive? We love it ! :).

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a week in carmel/monterrey

Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of the best in the world. It is unique and very interesting if you like sea life.