We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Chico, CA

California
3 posts
Save Topic
Parking in Chico, CA

I'm taking a road trip that will lead me through Chico, CA. I'm planning on grabbing lunch and then maybe exploring downtown. Is parking likely to be an issue? If so, does anyone have any tips of where it might be easiest to park?

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

Most parking in the downtown is metered and is sometimes difficult to find. There are parking lots on 2nd street near Salem and a parking garage on Salem just south of 2nd. The problem is that the college has limited parking and the surrounding areas are usually taken by students. I have always be able to find a space but usually I have to walk a few blocks.

You may find it more convient just to go to the Chico Mall which is just east of the 99 fwy at 20th. Parking is free and there are many restaurants surrounding it.

California
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

The parking really isn't that bad at all. I never have a problem finding a spot, and I haven't had to use the parking garage. I live in Chico. You probably won't find parking in front of the place you want to go. I always park down a side street and walk. There are all kinds of great places to eat downtown, all within walking distance of where you decide to park.

California
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

Please disregard the "Chico Expert." You may need to circle a bit to find parking downtown, but there are parking garages that are practically NEVER full. Please don't go to the mall - downtown has much better options plus several chains you'll be familiar with. Strolling through Chico's downtown district will be much more interesting than walking through another mall!! It even rated an article in Sunset magazine.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

Who is the expert anyway - the addresses he gives are always wrong. The parking garage is between 4th and 5th streets....

You may have to circle a couple blocks but by all means have lunch in downtown.

Chico CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

Our ugly parking garage, with its very small spaces, is

found between West 3rd and West 4th Streets off Salem.

Street parking is no problem here.

Level Contributor
41 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

I also must say DO NOT go to the mall. There is nothing there or near it that you won't see in every other city in California. Absolutely stick with your idea of visiting our downtown. I'm sorry and puzzled that our expert discouraged you from downtown. You can always find parking if, as others have said, you are willing to park down a side street and walk a block or two...but that's part of the fun, getting to stroll a bit and window-shop. There are many great restaurants, a new city plaza, lots of great shops, and if you feel up to it, I highly recommend a short walk to fabulous Bidwell Park.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

You become a local expert if you contribute frequently to a forum for a locale. Furthermore, the local expert was NOT discouraging this man from visiting downton, he was simply saying that since chico is NOT his FINAL DESTINATION that he might have a better time at the mall, seeing as it is much closer to the freeway easy on easy off and easier to find parking. Last semester i left my car downtown at night after an evening of drinking and the next day it was propped up on milk crates and my rims were stolen.

Anyways, if you do decide to go downtown, park the next street south of salem cause theres no meters, will take you a little bit to find a spot though.

The other option you have is to park at the park n ride by 32 / 99 and then take route 5 downtown on the bline for $1 ... runs every 1/2 hour and much cheaper than paying a meter, if you look young tell the guy you forgot your college id cause its free to ride the bus with one ... just dont ask him for any directions after that.

Pinole
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

Hello,

I am picking up a college student and plan to load her belongings in a pickup truck and park it somewhere for a few days. There will only be bedding and clothes stored.

Can I park in a parking garage for several days in Chico?

Advice?

Thank you,

Maggie

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

Hi Cetta!

When you think about it- the distance you park to get into the mall is not so convenient, but there are more points of entry to downtown. Our downtown is fabulous! It's a small enough square block area that a lunch and a couple shops would be great! Enjoy!

Chico, CA
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in Chico, CA

Just keep a few quarters in your car and you'll be fine. There's a big parking structure on Salem Street (parallel to Main Street) that you can park in, it's 25 cents an hour, and close to lots of restaurants. Also, if you go further down Salem Street (towards Highway 32) there are plenty of spots available with no meters, and it's only about a 5 minute walk back to the main downtown area. Drive around, you'll find a space... and the restaurants here are great so I highly recommend grabbing lunch here.