We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

Which Claremont hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

We will be looking at these two colleges, and also USC. Any recommendations of where to stay without a car within walking distance of the Claremont colleges? Also, how can we get from Claremont to USC the next day, early?

12 replies to this topic
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

One way to get from Claremont to downtown LA's Union Station is Metrolink. There is a station within @ 1 mile (maybe a bit more) of CMC. This is a commuter line, so the trains run relatively frequently ONLY until @ 8:45 am. The train will take a little less than an hour.

Check the schedule:

metrolinktrains.com/schedules/…

From Union Station, there should be multiple ways to get to USC, which is @ 5 miles, including bus, metro, I think a dedicated shuttle bus, and of course, taxi.

I'd ask the colleges for the closest hotel. Your prospective student may want to sleep in a dorm room, if that is offered at these colleges.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

Hotel Casa I guess is the closest to the Claremont Colleges. It's also within walking distance to the Claremont Metrolink station, where you take the train to LA. I have never stayed at this hotel, but the reviews seem to be positive. Frankly I think a car is much more convenient.

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

Thanks a lot for the metrolink info. We will use that since I won't have a car.

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

I made a reservation at the Hotel Casa. Thanks for telling me about it, and that it is within walking distance to metro link. I didn't know that.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

I didn't know about that hotel. Super well located for the schools and the metrolink station. Good choice. If it is a nice day out, the patio at Union on Yale is my favorite place in town to relax and eat lunch.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

If you have a chance and you like bakeries, Some Crust Bakery on Yale in the village has been there for decades. The mocha cookie is legendary...the others are very good too, but the mocha is extraordinary.

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

Thanks so much for the bakery and cookie recommendation. We will go there! Any other ideas for food or things to see within walking distance of the colleges?

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

We will check out Union too!

Edited: 20 January 2014, 17:53
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

Really, the colleges are the highlight; don't miss Scripps. Its a pretty quiet little town. The neighborhood just to the west-- with cute shops on Yale and surrounding streets, and a neigbhorhood of century old homes on shady streets-- is a nice place to walk.

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits

Thanks, sounds like fun!

Reply to: Pitzer and Claremont-McKenna college visits
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted