We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route to clear lake

Which Clearlake hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
3 posts
Save Topic
route to clear lake

driving from oakland to kelseyville next week. which roads should I take? which ones should I avoid? is it faster to go up I-505 and then hiway 16? is hiway 175 a good fast road? is hiway 101 to to hopland better?

5 replies to this topic
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route to clear lake

Hwy 128 is not fast. Please don't try to drive fast on it. 16 is windy as well. Hwy 101 is is fast driving. I don't know if it is longer. Check google maps.

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: route to clear lake

It's been years since we drove on Hwy. 175 but as I recall it was quite terrifying as it climbed the mountain, switching back and forth for a looong 15 miles or so.... I've never been on Hwy.16. We did drive I5 up to Winters (or Williams?) and cut across on Hwy.20 which was probably longer but a relatively flat, but scenic ride.....I did not care as I did not want to get back on 175, lol

Oakland, California
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: route to clear lake

thanks for the input folks

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: route to clear lake

Did you look at google maps? It's very helpful. Most people drive up the Napa Valley. Hwy 29 takes you right to Kelseyville. An alternate route is to go to Santa Rosa on 101 and then drive over to Calistoga and up to Kelseyville.

Nice, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: route to clear lake

Supercilious is absolutely correct in their suggestions. However, I do enjoy driving highway 175 in a faster car just because it reminds me of those twisty roads you see in the car commercials. If that's not your style, and it's definitely not my wife's style, follow Supercilious' recommendations above.

Incidentally, Google Maps will likely place you on 175 so look twice before you start your motor.

Reply to: route to clear lake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Clearlake