We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

I'm going to be spending a few days at Konocti at the end of August and I am looking for suggestions on where to dine and what to do there. It will just be 2 adults, no kids. If it isn't too hot, I'd like to do a little hiking if there are any nice trails in the area. If it is too hot, are there any good swimming spots (aside from the hotel pool)? I'll be there mostly on weekdays, not the weekend, so are most of the restaurants open on weekdays? I've heard that the dining at Konocti Resort is not very good. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just some decent food.

Thanks for any suggestions

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

C'mon, doesn't anybody have any tips about the Clearlake area?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

Sorry I can't help--I'm actually looking into renting a lakefront house at Clear Lake next summer and know nothing about the place as yet. Have you tried posting this on the Napa forum? Maybe someone there could help you. Good luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

There's a Fosters Freeze at the junction of Hwys 29 and 53.

Otherwise, try Middletown on Hwy 29 between Clearlake and Calistoga. There's a decent brewpub there, and possibly other dining attractions. Or try Ukiah.

Clear Lake
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

There are actually some really good places to eat around the lake. We just opened a B & B here on the Clear Lake and have been sending our guests to The Blue Wing in Upper Lake, Park Place in Lake Port, & the Sawshop in Kelseyville which are all good.

The hiking at Clearlake State park is O.K. but the best hiking is just off Hwy 20 just a few miles from the junction of Hwy 20 & 53.

The Lake Co. Visitors Bureau in Lucerne has some good hand outs for hikes, restaurants & wine tasting. You might visit their site at www.lakecounty.com

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

Thanks for the info, Irish23. Foster Freeze is good for some ice cream, but I am glad someone came through with some restaurant recommendations that I'm guessing are at least a tad classier! Are the restaurants you mentioned fairly casual? (i.e. can we go there after spending the afternoon in a lake w/o having to go back to the hotel to shower & change?) We're planning on going swimming up at Blue Lake at least one of the days, and it looks like the Blue Wing is pretty close to there. Any good breakfast spots near Konocti?

Good luck with your B&B.

Clear Lake
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

One of the best breakfast places around is in Kelseyville not far from Konocti Harbor. It's called Live Oak Grill and has terrific homemade things like corned beef hash. Most of the dining in Lake Co. is pretty casual. I wouldn't wear a swim suit to the Blue Wing, but shorts etc. would work fine especially at lunch. Another fun/laid back place for dinner is Richmond Park Bar & Grill where you can cook your own steaks and wear just about anything. The Lakeside Inn has great fish & chips.

Have fun - don't eat too much!!

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

Where is Blue Lake? You mentioned swimming there, I've not heard of it, but I'm pretty much a newbie to CA.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

Blue Lakes is just northwest of Clearlake (the lake, not the town) on Hwy 20 in Lake County. For lake swimming, it is much nicer than Clearklake, which from what I have seen, is not 'Clear'! I don't think there are any truly 'public' beaches at Blue Lakes though. The place I've been is on the property of the Pine Acres 'resort,' and they charge a small day-use fee if you are not lodging there.

I went to several of the restaurants suggested above: Blue Wing Saloon, SawShop Bistro, and Live Oak Grill. All were very good. Thanks again for the tips.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

VERY helpful, thanks glutton. Looking forward to a little trip up there.

If you had to pick one of the restaurants that you mentioned, which one would you MOST recommend?

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dining & activities in Clearlake/Konocti area?

Well, Live Oak Grill is basically a breakfast place, but it is a GOOD breakfast place. Nothing fancy, but good food, great home fries, and it seemed popular with the locals. It was only open Wednesday thru Sunday though.

If you are looking for somewhere to go for dinner, I think Saw Shop (open Tues thru Sun for dinner) was my favorite of the other 2 places I mentioned. Blue Wing Saloon serves both lunch and dinner and is open every day, so that is a good option if you want more flexibility. I posted reviews of both restaurants on Trip Advisor if you want to see more of my feedback on those.

Get answers to your questions about Clearlake