We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Southern Cal

bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in Southern Cal

Planning a family trip for myself, my wife, my 11yr old and my 6yr old. We plan to fly into LA around Aug. 18th and stay at disneyland for 4-5 days. We also plan to take in a Dodger game as my 11yr old is a huge baseball fan. We are considering the Paradise Pier Hotel, but would consider other local Hotels as we will have a rental car.

From LA, we plan to drive down to Legoland and then continue on to San Diego area. We are considering the Hotel Del Coronado as it was recommended by a friend but would consider other hotel recommendations. I can purchase Southern Cal city pass at Disney for about $300 which seems like a good deal to me. It would get us into Universal studios, Sea World,and either the San Diego Zoo or the Wild Animal Park. Does this sound like a good deal? We would stay about 4-5 days in San Diego area. Is this enough time to see these attractions?

If anybody has any thought, comments, tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Southern Cal

We loved our time at the Hotel Del and hope to return again and again here. Our stay was perfect in every way, we enjoyed 3 nights here in the Victorian section of the hotel. You may want to consider the Grand Californian for your Disney stay, it's also an awesome place! :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,637 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Southern Cal

the cheapest southern california city pass i have seen is at costco, 217.00 for adults,174.00 for children.

you can go on their website, www.costco.com , or at your local one to see if they have them there. i read in a previous post even if you are not a member you can still buy them for a 5% overcharge.Or you can do what i did, and have a member buy them for you.

AAA also offers them but not as cheap as costco.

we used them a couple of years ago and had plenty of time to see everthing.

i heard the zoo is a better choice because sometimes you cannot see any animals going through the wild animal park

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,170 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Southern Cal

The Del has different sorts of rooms available.You might enjoy the brand new villas for your family. Your 11 yr. old may find Legoland very tame, especially after Disney. Don't forget other interesting things besides theme/animal parks like

the USS Midway aircraft carrier,Star of India ,sailing ship, Balboa Park with its gardens,small museums (even for kids)I-Max movies,and live entertainment. See:www.balboapark.org

There's also seals on the beach at La Jolla Cove,tidepools to explore at low tide etc.etc.

Tell me a little about what you'd like in a hotel. Where have you styed on other trips that you've enjoyed?

bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Southern Cal

thanks for the advice on legoland. We thought it might be tame, but my 6yr old has his heart set on it.

As for hotel, generally it needs to be clean, updated, have a nice view, have friendly helpful service, have a good restaurant, have a health facility, pool and or beach access.

thanks for the recommendation on Balboa park and the Midway aircraft carrier.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,170 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Southern Cal

YOu might also consider the Lodge at Torrey Pines for your hotel. Although it is not right on a beach its location next to the Torrey Pines State Park on a cliff overlooking the ocean is very "Californian" During the summer they have cabana service on the nearby Torrey Pines State Beach and they have all the facilities you might want.

Your 6 year old will love Legoland and who knows, some 11s might enjoy it as well. Their web site says they are opening an interactive aquarium next door so by the time you arrive it may be open.

Happy planning!

6. Re: 1st time in Southern Cal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 00:17