We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach hotel recommendations for a couple, no kids?

Chicago
Level Contributor
524 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
beach hotel recommendations for a couple, no kids?

My husband and I are looking for a relaxing beach vacation any time this fall. I'm looking for a hotel with a beach, a nice pool area, and a nice room with a view. Everything I'm coming up with is over our budget, though. Can you recommend a hotel that meets our criteria but is less than $300 or $350 a night? I don't really care if it's in Coronado, just somewhere in the San Diego area.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,499 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach hotel recommendations for a couple, no kids?

One of the probs with your request is that we don't have hotels with their own beach. All the beaches are public . In addition we have very few hotels ON the beach. Many are by a walkway next to the beach,on a hill overlooking a beach,across the street from a beach etc.

Also September is still considered high summer season by most hotels so prices near the beach are highest then. Do you have any exact dates??

Level Contributor
37,581 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach hotel recommendations for a couple, no kids?

The Hotel Del Coronado is oceanfront and a very nice beach hotel. Our room in December was $250/night in the Victorian section, we had a view of the inner courtyard and gardens, not the ocean. We loved our stay at the Del. Have fun in San Diego! :)

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Chicago
Level Contributor
524 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach hotel recommendations for a couple, no kids?

We're really flexible in our dates. Maybe we should wait til October?

The Del looks great; maybe I need to sacrifice an ocean view to stay within budget.

If I sacrifice a beach-front hotel altogether, where do you recommend?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,499 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach hotel recommendations for a couple, no kids?

Again, I am not sure of prices but you might look at the newly renovated Hyatt Regency Mission Bay,Paradise Point,the Catamaran, Hilton Mission BAy.

These are not at the ocean but have water views in Mission Bay Park which is a manmade series of bays with different water activities. There are also green areas with paths for walking,biking etc. The most secluded of these is Paradise Point BUT be aware you will have to drive to restaurants other than those in the hotels AND there are parking fees etc in addition to the price.

The ocean beaches will be a very short drive or in the case of the Catamaran just across the street.

You can also get bay view rooms at Humphreys which has name musical acts as well.

You can get bay view rooms downtown at the Marriott Marina with its great pool as well BUT it is a city location and not necessarily a quiet one.

Another idea if you decide you REALLY want "paradise at a beach" might be to consider Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
495 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Chicago
Level Contributor
524 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach hotel recommendations for a couple, no kids?

Riffsmom, thanks. I've got a lot of research to do, and I'm starting to think that you're right--San Diego might not be the place we're looking for this time around!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
6. Re: beach hotel recommendations for a couple, no kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:18