We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of seaweed and dirty water

Scottsdale
Level Contributor
56 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of seaweed and dirty water

We were in Corondo over this past weekend. The beach had tons of seaweed on the beach and in the water. The water seemed really dirty too, lots of debris.

Is this normal? We were right in the area next to the Del, if your looking at the Del from the beach, we were on the far right. We're thinking of going back this weekend, driving from PHX, but if the conditions of the beach and water aren't better, I'm not sure it's worth it. I thought maybe it was the tides causing this?? What's it normally like?

Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,011 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of seaweed and dirty water

Seaweed is a great thing to see - it means the ocean is healthy. I get concerned when there's none.

Our water in SoCal seems dirty, but it's just sand being kicked around from the floor.

Debris - what kind of debris? If it's plastic and paper, that's not a good thing. Not something we usually see in SoCal.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of seaweed and dirty water

There were some high tides this weekend. Generally the water is just as safe to swim in when it looks brown or dirty as when it is crystal clear, it's just rougher surf kicking up the sand and seaweeds.

Scottsdale
Level Contributor
56 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of seaweed and dirty water

In general the water just seemed dirty. I'm used to seaweed, but it seemed like an unusual amount, trust me. The water just had lots of stuff floating in it, lots of feathers, again, just seemed dirty.

Also, question on the sand, it looked like gold? Black with gold. Pretty interesting?

I'm used to seaweed, my husband and I are both from the NE coast, I grew up on the water. When in California, usually we go to Manhattan beach, it's our first time on Coronado, this is why I'm asking if this is usual for this particular beach?

Thanks again.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of seaweed and dirty water

This is not normal for here. You came on a very seaweedy time. My son was in the water by the del all week and also commented on the "yellow" water. His camp couselors called it pollen, but I am not sure about that. Everyone's allergies were kicked up a notch this week as well.

We have kelp beds just offshore, and sometimes in the cutting process a lot of plant material floats to shore. You really did catch it at a bad time. It is usually nowhere near that bad.

As far as the sparkley stuff, that is a mineral called mica that reflects sunlight.

Scottsdale
Level Contributor
56 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of seaweed and dirty water

thank you that explains a lot!

6. Re: Lots of seaweed and dirty water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 03:19