We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Topic
Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

We will be visiting Coronado for the first time in Summer 2010.

I'm really liking the look of the Marriott as we don't drive over in the US and it's location looks good with the ferry and also a nearby bus stop, but also am wondering whether we'd be better renting a house. We are a family of 4, daughter will be 20 and son will be 16 by next year.

Does anyone know where to look online for rentals? We have never rented a property in the US before - we are from the UK - having always stayed in hotels, so haven't a clue where to start really.

Thank you

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

You may want to consider the Hotel Del Coronado while in this area, it is a beautiful resort and very family-friendly. Have fun! :)

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

There is a good site named vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner). Be aware that a lot of the rentals in Coronado are monthly only. You may also want to check out downtown San Diego across the bay as there are a lot more vacation rentals available by the week. The Coronado Marriott is a nice hotel and I believe they have larger suite type amenities with a small kitchen. With 2 teenage kids I would recommend a home or condo. We were in San Diego in August and had a hotel room at the Marriott on San Diego Bay. Although nice I sure missed the room of a condo which is what we usually rent when our family goes on vacation. We drove over to Coronado for the day and it is a great location. Lot of restaurants and shops in close proximity but the teenagers may like the amenities of the city across the bay.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

Thanks so much for your reply, in the 3 months since I posted this thread, I have had a look at rentals but it didn't work out for us, we did see one we were interested in, but when I contacted the owner they have now put their house up for sale. We have now decided to go for the hotel option at the Coronado Marriott, I'm sure we will be fine, we've stayed in hotels for many years of holidays now. Thanks anyway for your input. :D

Coronado, CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

First, I think the Marriott is a good choice. It's on the bay (east side of the island) close to the ferry landing with lots of food choices. (such as they are here in tourist town)...... And you can jump on the ferry and go to downtown San Diego.

The Hotel Del Coronado has some new "villas" that are condo-like. Don't know where they fall price-wise but I've heard they are pricy. But also well positioned, right on the beach (the ocean and not the bay).

Summer 2010 is a long time away, and if you are still thinking about renting a house try looking in our local paper, the Coronado Eagle Journal (http://www.coronadonewsca.com/). Some of my neighbors also use local real estate agents to do short term rentals (like Prudential Real Estate in Coronado).

Coronado, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

As an FYI to anyone thinking about renting a house or condo in Coronado, it is a city law that rentals must be for no less than 30 days. It is illegal to rent for anything less - those that arrange to do so are breaking the law and may be cited.

Coronado, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

As an FYI to anyone thinking about renting a house or condo in Coronado, it is a city law that rentals must be for no less than 30 days. It is illegal to rent for anything less - those that arrange to do so are breaking the law and may be cited.

Coronado
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

I live in Coronado. You will LOVE Coronado! The place to look for rentals is the Coronado Eagle. I think you can get listing online.

Carole

8. Re: Hotel or private rental on Coronado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2010, 06:22