We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I be concerned

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Should I be concerned

I am in the middle of planning a family vacation with young children to Coronado for April 2012. Was looking to rent a home as we did in pacific beach last year, but now concerned maybe I am making a big leap of faith and assumption that the homes and surrounding neighborhoods in the village area are safe based on the recent reports of violence and the media focusing in on some other weird crimes on Coronado during 2011. Should we stay in a hotel or condo, perhaps they are located in touristy more secure locations. I should note the homes we are looking at are noted as "village location" and we are trying to stay as close to the beach/del/orange as possible again assuming that is the best area to be, but availability in that area is limited so we may have to be further "out." Are there areas in the "village" to avoid, streets to avoid, how far is to far from the Del. We really rather have the convenience of a home but won't give up security.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,121 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I be concerned

Hi AP , Welcome to the forums.

It is hard to believe that you are worried about safety due to 2 separate incidents that happened inside homes in Coronado this year.

NOTHING happened out on a street!

The area is upscale and very quiet. There are no areas to avoid!!

I don't think your family has anything to worry about!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I be concerned

Here is the crime rating for Chicago v/s Coronado

cityrating.com/crime-statistics/…chicago.html

The city violent crime rate for Chicago in 2009 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 162.11% and the city property crime rate in Chicago was higher than the national property crime rate average by 39.94%.

projected Violent crime in Chicago in 2012 : 25,000

cityrating.com/crime-statistics/california/c…

The city violent crime rate for Coronado in 2009 was lower than the national violent crime rate average by 71% and the city property crime rate in Coronado was lower than the national property crime rate average by 22.94%.

Projected violent crime in Coronado in 2012: 28

Perhaps we should ask all visitors to Chicago to be really concerned in 2012

Edited: 05 January 2012, 23:55
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I be concerned

Don't invite strangers back to your "home" with you while on vacation.

While we still don't know what happened in the latest incident, it seems apparent they met a person while out celebrating New Year's Eve and invited that person back to their condo. What transpired after that, we don't know, but no matter where you are, you should always be on guard for potential victimization.

Crime happens everywhere

Edited: 06 January 2012, 00:04
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I be concerned

Amazing, I can't think of many places that I would consider safer than Coronado !!

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I be concerned

Your responses are what my instincts thought, meaning it has to be a safe place vacation. I knew when writing my post that stats from Chicago would be pulled. But my point is we are traveling (with my kids) to an area that I don't know well, so as much as I know it should be fine (despite that media!) - having the local insight on specific areas/neighborhoods helps (I would do the same for Chicago's neighborhoods). So thanks and thanks for your quick responses. We will be there in April, can't wait!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I be concerned

Enjoy.

Coronado is a lovely place to be.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
5,786 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I be concerned

In general Coronado is a very nice residential community with gorgeous beaches, homes, nice hotels, good restaurants, and water ways. It is family oriented and as such has more of a feel of a suburban community on the beach versus the city (such as Chicago). In general, it is relatively safe in this area - but as with all tourist areas - normal precautions are always in order.

What is odd about the 2 incidents you have heard about is that it is something one would not consider happening in Coronado. As such, it tends to get more national press as it is such a "rare" - but in both cases very sad - incidents.

We are going to San Diego in a few weeks and we always love to go to Coronado as it is such a nice place to go. We would not however go to border towns like Tijuana given the violence along the border towns. Coronado is not in that category at all - so if you hear more about concerns about border towns like Tijuana it is a different area but close to San Diego.

Its still somewhat shocking that these incidents occurred in such a pleasant place....

Personally I am not concerned at all about Coronado as a great place to visit.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,005 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I be concerned

The scariest thing I have experienced in Coronado has been jay walking in front of the Del, which I would not recommend but have done! Not smart because some drivers cannot see from certain angles, especially at night.

9. Re: Should I be concerned

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2013, 10:20