We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Near Orange County Airport with Teenage Girls

Connecticut
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Near Orange County Airport with Teenage Girls

My husband and I are spending Spring Break Mid-April 2010 in Orange County, CA. The girls are in their early teens. Our hotel is close to the airport in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach. We arrive from the East Coast at noon on Saturday and depart at noon on Friday. We are renting a car. The girls really want to see Hollywood. What day, time, method of transit is best for that? Is there a suggested tour? Besides a day touring Hollywood, we are thinking of visiting Universal Studios and Knotts Berry Farm on separate days. Perhaps a waterpark if the temperature allows. We don't want to over jam our schedule as these girls tire out easily. Any suggestions to see the best for teenage girls but not run ourselves ragged.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Staying in Near Orange County Airport with Teenage Girls

Here's the link for the Aquarium of the Pacific http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Staying in Near Orange County Airport with Teenage Girls

Happy to read you are now staying in Huntington Beach. It is much more family friendly and more of a tourist destination. Have fun renting bikes and riding up the boardwalk...ride all the way to Dog Beach and watch the dogs playing in the surf...and some might even be surfing (no kidding). Buy a trick kite from the store located on the HB pier and fly it...it is harder than it looks. Eat lunch at Ruby's diner at the end of the longest concrete pier in California. Watch the surfers and kit surfers too. Shop Main Street. and go to the Surf City Nights on Tuesday and the Farmers Market and Art -A Faire on Fridays.

Hollywood is a let down. Have low expectations for it. Universal Studios would be fun. Queen Mary is for old(er) people and I would skip it. I too would recommend the Aquarium of the Pacific instead. There are many worthwhile things to do here in southern California... Go to Fashion Island and Balboa Island and get the girls a Balboa Ice Cream Bar while there. Walk the piers in Newport and Huntington Beach. Drive to Laguna Beach and visit the tide pools and all the shops. Skip Dana Point. Go to Knotts Berry Farm . Sorry but I don't believe the water parks will be open in April. I guess I have to recommend going to In and Out Burgers as well.

And for souvenirs, I would recommend you go to the Orange County Market Place at the fairgounds in Costa Mesa. It is an outdoor "flea market" in a sense but it is all NEW items. You can buy Huntington, Newport or OC shirts 4 for $10. etc. If your girls want shells, the concession stand on the beach called, Dwights sells many of them. They are very inexpensive there.oh...I dont like "the Lab"...the anti shopping mall...it isnt a place I would suggest a toursit to stop by. These are just my thoughts, of course.

Here is HB's official website.

www.surfcityusa.com

ps. Skip the Pirate Diner Adventure across from Knotts. My teens went last week and didn't like it...in fact the only thing they DID like was that they were sitting in front of Joe Jonas and got to talk with him and he agreed to have his photo taken with him. Lol

Edited: 22 January 2010, 19:02
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Staying in Near Orange County Airport with Teenage Girls

Dogs gave some great advice as usual.

In regard to the Lab and Camp anti-malls, I think the original suggestion by

dinamet assumed that you were going to stay in Costa Mesa. In that case, I too would recommend Old Vine Cafe. It really is quite nice. If you are staying in Huntington Beach, it's not worth a special drive to Costa Mesa as we have many great restaurants and cafes in HB and nearby Newport and Seal Beach. I do NOT include In 'n Out Burger among them. It's just a fast food burger joint.

Regarding "Hollywood," -- most of us have been trying to be a bit polite about it but Dogs is right. Have low expectations. It's actually downright seedy. You will not want your teens walking around there at night. There have been many efforts to revitilize and redevelop the Hollywood area that have never quite done the job. I only go there if I'm attending a performance at the Pantages Theater or the Hollywood Bowl.

I wouldn't even recommend the Queen Mary for "older" people. It's a rip-off.

When you go to the Acquarium, you'll see it from the outside. You won't miss much not going on-board.

Enjoy your trip.

14. Re: Staying in Near Orange County Airport with Teenage Girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 07:18