We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

Which Costa Mesa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dutchess Cty, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

We are a family of 5 with three kids under 12 looking for a two night stay in the Huntington, Newport area. We are trying to stretch the budget and not pay $300/night to stay right on the beach although the resorts look great.... Costa Mesa looked convenient, but maybe more business aligned. Are we missing any other areas that may be closer for a day trip to the beach, or a day in Newport Beach? We have been in the 4 and 4.5- star range for the other hotels we are staying at down the coast from San Fran to Marina Del Rey. We had a few extra days to use and wanted to be by the beach in OC. Any suggestions, recommendations about other areas, or nicer places in Cost Mesa if this is a best choice?

16 replies to this topic
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

Did you check out the Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, highly rated at TA. Not a resort, but a good quality Hotel near the Beach and Newport Harbor.

http://www.thebestinn.com/

Would be in your price range, and close to Pacific Coast Highway and the 55 freeway for day trips.

Orange County
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

If you're on a budget, there is a great contest going on right now for free 2 night stay at the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa. Can't beat the price of FREE, right?

facebook.com/visitnewportbeach/app_243944385…

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

You could try the city of Fountain Valley: There is the Residence Inn marriott.com/hotels/…

or Courtyard by Marriott marriott.com/hotels/…

They are right next to each other. They are about 6 miles from Huntington Beach.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

Costa Mesa is close enough. Other cities that are close are Fountain Valley to HB. Irvine has several hotels by the airport that are close enough to NB as well.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 03:54
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,898 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

I would check the Fairmont Newport Beach Hotel. It is a great hotel, but it is in a heavy business area and usually has great rates.

I'd check the other hotels by John Wayne Airport like the Crowne Plaza, Irvine Marriott, The Atrium Hotel, Embassy Suites, Residence Inn and Hyatt Regency.

I'd rather be in that general area than Fountain Valley or Costa Mesa (except for the South Coast Plaza Hotel).

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

I don't work for Anaheim but, honestly, what you get there is so far beyond what staying in Costa Mesa or Fountain Valley can provide for you and your family. If it was just the two of you, no problem but, with kids - it's always "what's next?".

Even if you are not going to Disneyland, you can go to Downtown Disney for the Evening or Garden Walk. It's all safe and walkable and there are some of the outlying hotels that would be thrilled to have your business for a few nights.

Even Buena Park is easy and, you can take the 29 bus straight down Beach Blvd and be at the Beach in about 50 minutes or so (I haven't done it but I drive that route all the time and there are a lot of bus stops but the buses really move...).

Nothing against those other towns but, "yes" they are primarily business places where you will pay a lot during the week and less on the weekend to be in a big business hotel by yourself or with some wedding party or something else...

Take a look at Anaheim or Garden Grove or Buena Park... for a family, in that order, there is nothing better for diverse options.

BTW - Darkbeers suggestion on the Peninsula is a great one. It's right near the harbor and 2 blocks from the Beach. There are bike rentals nearby and a 17 mile boardwalk along the sand. There are a few more little hotels on the Peninsula that are not right on the sand or water but it's all really close.

Hope that helps!

Happy Planning!

Tom - Owner

Anaheim Tour Company

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,898 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

Anaheim has no where near the quality of dining that the Irvine/Newport Beach area does nor the quality of shopping.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

Scott, you bring up a good point seeing that the Tiki Juice Bar is the number 2 ranked restaurant in Anaheim, according to TA users.

9. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2012, 02:05

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,898 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?

Tom, here is what the OP said:

>>>Are we missing any other areas that may be closer for a day trip to the beach, or a day in Newport Beach? ........ We had a few extra days to use and wanted to be by the beach in OC. Any suggestions, recommendations about other areas, or nicer places in Cost Mesa if this is a best choice?<<<

So Anaheim, Garden Grove and Buena Park are not good places to stay for being closer to the beach or a day in Newport Beach. They can stay at a 4 star hotel, the Fairmont for well under $300.

The other thing they said was:

>>>We are trying to stretch the budget and NOT pay $300/night to stay right on the beach although the resorts look great<<<

They DON'T have a budget of $300 a night. They DON'T want pay $300, they are trying to stretch the budget, meaning stay in the best place with the biggest bang for the buck that is the CLOSEST to Newport Beach to make going to the beach easier and more convenient.

Staying in Anaheim you can walk around a lot of tacky motels and mediocre chain restaurants. I wouldn't exactly call that a bonus and Buena Park is even worse.

If I was looking to stay some place nice near Newport Beach it would NOT be Anaheim.

I don't run a tour company in Newport or Anaheim, I don't have a dog in that fight. I try to answer the question for the OP based on how they ask it and in the absence of other information.

I would choose any of the hotels in Irvine or Newport that I mentioned over any hotel in Costa Mesa, except the South Coast Plaza Hotel, which is a very nice property.

Reply to: Close Enough for Beach & Day Trips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted