We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Volos to Pinakates

Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Volos to Pinakates

We've got 4 nights on the Pelion peninsula and thought for the first night we'd stay in either Milies or Pinakates. I'm just wondering if we would be better off driving as far as Kalo nero and then on to Milies to get to Vizitsa and Pinakates or if we should turn off at Ano Lechonia? That road just looks really windy and mountainous??

Mind you this will be the end of a 3 week road trip through Greece so hopefully I'll be well and truly acclimated to driving the mountainous roads of Greece!!

After this stop I think we'll go over to Tsagarada for a couple of nights. Is the trip from there back to Athens comfortably doable in a day? We have to drop the car off at the airport and make our way into Athens so would like to be there before dark.

Thanks.. Larn

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Volos to Pinakates

You are getting around, aren't you?

The road from Ano Lechonia to Pinakates is fine so you'd be wasting time going round to Kala Nera. That said, I really don't see the point of stopping there to move on to Tsangarada. The two locations are under an hour apart so you might as well continue to your final destination.

Getting back to Athens airport should take around five and a half hours and then you need to allow another hour or so to get into the city.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,087 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Volos to Pinakates

But Pinakates and Vizitsa are lovely, so is Milies. So I would certainly recommend visiting them before moving on to Tsangarada. I think it's in Milies that there is an interesting 19th century library, and a fascinating little museum of village life. Enjoy your trip!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Volos to Pinakates

Thanks for your replies.

Yes philhellene we are seeing a good deal of Greece! Good to hear that road is ok, it does look rather hairy on google maps!

As with all our trip we aren't heart set on staying anywhere in particular so not really sure where we'll end up. When I asked about places to stay, a year ago, Milies and Tsagarada were two places that were recommended. I guess we could use either as a base for our time there.

6 1/2 hours back to Athens is probably doable if we leave nice and early, it does seem to get dark really early in October. Is it really an hour from the airport into Athens? That surprises me, I really didn't think it would take that long! I think we will be taking the bus.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Volos to Pinakates

>Is it really an hour from the airport into Athens?<

Depends on the traffic and how long you have to wait for the bus.

5. Re: Driving from Volos to Pinakates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2017, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Magnesia Region
Recent Conversations