We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do if in Volos all day+?

california
Level Contributor
365 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What to do if in Volos all day+?

I'm going to be taking a bus to Ag Ioannis from Volos, and since the last one seems to be about 1:30 I'm thinking I should maybe get to Volos the night before. Also since I've never been to Volos I'm wondering if I should maybe spend 2 nights and look around a bit more.

How big is the Archaeology museum really? It seems like it says there are about 6 rooms. Is this a maybe half-hour or a few hours sort of place? (For someone who is a bit of an archaeology freak so I'll actually look at each case.)

Does visiting the local archaeological sites (Dimini, Sesklo, etc) require a car or are any of them easy by bus? Probably not if all the buses stop early, eh?

I see visits to Makrynitsa recommended - does this require a car?

Any other suggestions on where to go? I'll be near the beach for 9 days later so don't need to go on this day. I'm also interested in culture/ethnology/folk music and dance/mythology etc if that helps.

If I do rent a car for one day, how hard is driving in and out of Volos? Parking near the Archaeology Museum?

Thanks, I hope someone's still reading as this is a fairly quiet forum.

2 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do if in Volos all day+?

Volos is a pleasant working Greek town with no major attractions but it is famous for its ouzeria on the waterfront. An ouzeri is a restaurant where, each time you order a tiny bottle of ouzo, you are brought a plate of delicious mezedes. You continue to order ouzo and eat mezedes until you can't take any more :-) They are normally noisy, lively places and it's fun seeing just how much the locals manage to consume.

As I recall the museum is small but interesting and you could certainly spend an hour or more there. I'm afraid I haven't visited the sites you mention, and I don't know anything about the bus service though I believe there are regular buses up to Makrynitsa. As for driving it depends on how accustomed you are to driving in Greece. You do have to drive through the centre of Volos to get out towards Pelion so it could be a bit hairy if you're not that confident. Makrynitsa is a very attractive, large traditional Pelion village but quite touristy with a lot of souvenir shops etc on the way in. It can be crowded in July and August.

Room owners are normally very helpful so when in Ag. Ioannis you could ask about bus services in Volos and someone will probably be able to find out about timetables for you. I have to say if it were me, I think an evening in Volos would be great but 2 nights/one whole day might be too much. But that's just my view.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do if in Volos all day+?

Hey and welcome abgoing:-) Those wonderful ouzeries 2bristolians mentions above are known at *tsipouradika*.. popular and well known in this beautiful waterfront City:-) EnJOY!

Reply to: What to do if in Volos all day+?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Magnesia Region