We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale sharks - still in season?

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
52 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Whale sharks - still in season?

Hi, I'm looking to travel to Oslob sometime in the next 2-3 weeks (sometime in June), and am wondering what my odds are of actually seeing and snorkeling with whale sharks? Do they go out of the area at any point of the year? Everything I can find seems to indicate the season only lasts through May...

Also, what makes the most sense in terms of getting there from Singapore? Fly into Cebu and then hire a taxi? Or are there buses?

Thank you!!

Oslob Whale Shark Watching
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips
AJ's Place Beach Resort
Multi-day Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Island Trek Tours
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

The whale sharks at Oslob, have been "hanging" around here for close to 2 years now, you will be virtually guaranteed of seeing them here, as they are regularly fed by the "boatmen"

You can get a bus from Cebu to Oslob, or get a driver from Cebu city for the day.

Another alternative is to go to Moalboal for a few days, and visit from here by bus. Just make sure you visit oslob in the morning, no afternoon tours are available

Cebu Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

hello sir/mam. just went to see the whale shark at oslob, cebu last friday. had the chance to talk with the locals regarding the whale shark if they are out in the open on a certain season or not. the whale sharks are available the whole year round (according to the locals), as long as, people are feeding them on certain hours in a day. it would be wise to go there early, had my trip as early as 4:30 am via a private van for hire ( cost 4,500 to 5,000 php which can accommodate 10 to 12 persons), the travel would be more or less 4 hours from cebu city to oslob.

all persons who would like to see the whale shark are to attend the short orientation hosted by the local government personnels. if you want to see the whale shark, here are the fees: whale shark watching 300 pesos and swimming with the whale shark is at 500 pesos. The said fee includes the use of a life vest, googles, snorkeling paraphernalia. I suggest to bring your own stuff (hygienic purposes) :)

3. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 14:05
4. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 14:05
london
Level Contributor
976 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

I saw the whalesharks at Oslob in January and for me it was a wonderful experience. I fully accept that in an ideal world it would be best not to feed these beautiful wild creatures artificially , but this is how things are and I came away feeling certain that this arrangement helped the local.people. The whalesharks are big wild creatures and they would not hang around if they did not want to.

I stayed in Maolboal for 5 days of diving and the trip was extremely well organised. It is also possible to just go and stay in the village , it seemed really nice. That way you could be first in the water. On no account go at the weekend , because it is apparently extremely busy then.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

Was just there a few weeks ago and there were maybe 7 or 8 in the area. Had a lovely time. We hired a private driver from Lapu-Lapu or Mactan island for a day tour, 4,000php. Went to see the whale sharks and then also went to Kawasan falls which I highly recommend. If you do go there go up to the 3rd falls as it's less crowded.

Here is a video from my trip I put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Qop-mEVyM

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

Hello Pheonix,

Were in Moalboal did you catch your bus, and how much was the cost. Also who would you suggest in Oslob for a tour guide?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

Your Information is very important and helpful. how did you arrange your whale watching. i am going by september and somehow the resort i will be staying at is charging 1500 to swim with the shark and another 500 to bring you to the location of the boats going to whale watch. i hope you can help me so that i can save money. thanks

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

Which resort is this? Why not opt for a DIY trip? You could save money that way.

philippines
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale sharks - still in season?

hi soul2soultravel, are tricyles readilly available around Oslob? so getting around will be easy? Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Oslob