We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

Which Oslob hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
"Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

It seems like most people depart on an early morning 3-4 hour bus from Cebu to get to Oslob to swim with the whale sharks. I'm not opposed to this, but since we also plan to go to Siquijor, Bohol Alona, and would possibly also have a flight in or out of Dumaguete, I just wanted to see if there is a faster way to do this.

Are there boat trips from Siquijor, and would this be faster than the boat trips from Bohol Alona? The small boat rides from Bohol Alona don't sound very good (I do get seasick on rough boat rides, so would like to avoid that), but the larger ones sound ok and I think only around 2 hours? Does anyone know the cost for these?

Or if we did take the bus from Cebu, would it be easy to catch a boat to Siquijor or Bohol Alona from there afterwards? I wasn't sure what we would do with our luggage (we travel pretty light, but I'd want to know our bags were ok), or if there would be any boats just for the return portion (maybe you need to book a r/t from Bohol or Siquijor to get a ride back?)

Dumaguete looks the closest, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on getting from there to Oslob, so perhaps it's not the best route.

Between Cebu and Dumaguete, which would be the better place to have to spend a night (safer city, nicer scenery, etc) if we flew in, stayed overnight, and made it to the whale sharks in the morning?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

Does the Oslob to Larena Super Shuttle Ferry "Roro" still run at 11:00am daily? (There seem to be some problems with the Super Shuttle website, but they do show this on their route map).

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

The preferred "origin" is Dumaguete.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 17:29
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

Thanks @mousehunt - how long is the trip from Dumaguete and which ferry company would we use for this? I had thought to go to Siquijor afterwards, but not seeing much info on this route. Would like to keep any boat travel to under 2 hours, but maybe this is not possible.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

I love Dumaguete City. It is a University town and has a nice, cool vibe. Probably the most liberal city in the Philippines. City is cleaner and quainter than Cebu. So my vote goes there.

If you have the budget. Rent a boat fr Dumaguete for a 30 min trip straight to the whalewatching area. On the way back, you can dropby Sumilon island amd enjoy the sandbar or snorkeling. Boat rentals are 5, 500 to 6000 per boat. The 6000 is good for up to 15 people, new and quite pleasant, bigger too.

Otherwise, catch a tricycle or small jeep to Sibulan about 25 mins away fr Dgte. Ride a ferry to Liloan about 20 mins away. Bus to Oslob about an hour. It is a shorter route than compared to Cebu City.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

Boat trips fr Dgte to Siquijor is 30 mins to 45 mins only.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

just a little info on the trip from Alona Beach > Oslob..

I did the trip in april.. the thing is.. when you agree with the touts to go on the tour, its always " tommorow "

now tomorrow could be a bit cloudy or even raining.. we arranged to go on a wednesday morning 5.30 am meet up.. so after getting up at 4.30 am, i only found out the trips cancelled when i get to the beach.. bad weather apparently.. didnt look that bad to me, was a fine morning.. more like they never had enough tourists to fill the boat..

So the trip is booked for the thursday.. that morning was not good at all.. the sea was very choppy, captain had to cut the engine a few times to ride the waves.. it wasnt that pleasant if im being honest lol.. was more like a banana boat was were on !!

But i will say it was an amazing experience swimming with the sharks.. made the trip worthwhile !

e2a :: our boat journey was more like 3 hours to Oslob, maybe 2.5 on way back..

Edited: 12 May 2014, 20:52
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

Oh boy, it doesn't exactly sound like an easy trip, but would be nice to make it happen.. was the boat your took one of the smaller ones @jock_in_a_frock?

I did see a couple reviews from Bohol that didn't sound too bad on larger boats that seemed to take under 2 hours, but maybe you don't know what boat you're taking over until the day of (and might end up on a small one).

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

exactly you dont know how big the boat is until the morning of the trip.. it depends on how many passengers the touts can arrange..

there was 9 of us.. so yes was just 1 of the smaller boats, just a small wooden seat thing we were all sitting on.. my butt hurt i`ll tell ye !!

e2a :: how long are you in Alona for ? if its a good few days keep an eye on the weather forecast before booking your whale shark tour.. i was leaving Alona on a friday and the last few days i was there the weather was kinda cloudy/rainy.. so i had no other option but to go for it !!

Edited: 12 May 2014, 21:54
9. Re: "Best" origin point to get to Oslob for whale shark swim?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Oslob