We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

Which Oslob hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Japan
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

I’m a female planning to travel solo to Oslob to snorkel with the whale sharks in the middle of August. I've traveled SE Asia alone before and I've heard that this area is pretty safe so I’m not really worried about safety, but I was wondering if there is some kind of group tour that I can join so that I don’t have to pay to rent a whole boat for myself and to make it a little bit more fun?

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
554 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

You dont need to rent the whole boat. The fee is per person. At the government center, you can ask to join with others.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 17:26
Japan
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

very cool al22tecc, thank you for your help!

Japan
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

very cool al22tecc, thank you for your help! Another question: I'm guessing I don't have to make a reservation at the government center, but I should get there early in the AM?

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
554 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

Its first come first serve. Peak time is between after 8am until around 11am, though operating hours are from 6am up to 12 or 1230pm. Turnover is considered fast, with waiting time within 30 minutes or so when you are ready to go during the peak periods. And even while waiting, the time flies fast as you will be observing everything thats happening as the boats anchor around 100 meters from the shoreline.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 17:41
london
Level Contributor
941 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

Agree with above posts , the whale shark watching operation is very well organised and extremely friendly as well. Travelling around the Philippines is a lot easier than many other Asian countries, so little hassle and so clean and organised.

Pomeroy, Washington
Level Contributor
390 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

It is no problem to go by yourself. I did it and didn't have to pay any extra. Be there when the visitor center opens early in the morning on a week day. I was the only tourist in the water with the sharks for 20 minutes.

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

i went to donsol in febuary for whale sharks but none had been seen in 7 days so didnt bother going out knowing i was going to oslob in the next week . ironically they were in legazpi harbour while i was there 4 days later .

oslob is very well run only 1000 peso per person finishes at lunch and best to get in early .

i can highly recommend pagasama beach moalboal 3 hours by bus north up the other side of cebu .

great locals and foreigners diving eating and drinking and very safe .

great snorkling with a schools of sardines off the drop and sea turtles .and its all free

im taking my 2 daughters under 5 there next feb

plenty of accomadation for all budgets . a tip though make sure you stay on pagasama beach area so you wont need transport to and from your hotel .

i can recommend pacitas 800 peso per night fan room on 2 acres 50 metre to water

8. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 08:35
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,667 posts
1,577 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

Avoid touts such as the above and stick to drivers on our recommended drivers FAQ thread.

Free advertising is not allowed as is spamming not allowed.

Tommo

Japan
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: solo traveler wants to swim with whale sharks

Trevor P Moalboal sounds so perfect, exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you so much for the tip.

Get answers to your questions about Oslob