We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
405 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

We arrive at the Thessaloniki airport on Saturday, 18 October at 23;20 and want to see Pella and Vergina on Sunday. As it is so late, we will probably stay near the airport. I know there is a hyatt nearby but it is expensive! Any suggestions? Would we be better renting a car and traveling to Pella and Vergina ourselves, perhaps staying in the area, or would be be better trying to find a tour (probably private?) and returning to the hotel for the 11;30 flight the next morning?

I look forward to your suggestions with thanks!!

Dot2dot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Run with Me Thessaloniki
Sightseeing Tours, Running Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Boreas Art & Nature Travel Services
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Makedonia International Airport is in very close proximity to Thessaloniki so you will have no problem getting to any hotel in the city even at that hour, no reason to stay near the airport. You will be going in the direction of Thessaloniki from the airport in order to reach Vergina or Pella, anyway.

I cannot comment of private tour versus rental car, I just went to Vergina last month from Thessaloniki by public transport, but I wanted to mention you are in for a real treat, the site at Vergina is amazing.

After you've visited the Royal Tombs, if you walk a bit in the direction of the Royal Palace excavation site (currently closed, or so it was in April) you can see one tomb in situ, that they are still excavating.

It's too bad you'll be flying out that soon afterwards and won't get a chance to enjoy Thessaloniki.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
405 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Thanks. We are very excited to see these sites. I don't want the logistics problems to prevent us from experiencing them!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Hey and welcome ellesahar:-) Firstly, you need to check opening days. as well as opening/closing times at both sites;-) Will you be arriving from the States.. or elsewhere, closer in Greece or Europe somewhere?! Thing is, if you are not lagged, you can always grab a rental straight from the airport and head to Veroia.. takes about half an hour from Salonika proper.. from the airport, no more than about 45-50 min or so.. and that's if you're use to night driving.. there are a number of hotels you can pick from in Veroia to overnight giving you a good start in the morning.. although sites are not far from Salonika proper either;-)

Would not bother with the Hyatt ..it's a great property and have stayed there myself but it's close to the airport and further out from the City! Only advantage I could see here would be to make arrangements for the rental for the next morning.. dropping it off that night.. but you can certainly do that with any hotel in Salonika proper;-) You can certainly do both sites in a day.. but again, depends on their timings;-)

You can consider starting a separate post for hotel recs.. stating your budget spread and how many pax are involved.. am sure you'll get loads of great recs.. the City has loads to cover every budget and FWIW, convenient even if only there for an evening stroll along the waterfront.. grabbing a bite to eat overlooking the water there;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
405 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Thanks both Litsa and Cosmopolitan. I am getting enthused about spending time in Thessaloniki, even if it's only an evening. It seems such a waste to see just two sites outside of the city and not seeing the city itself!

I will take Litsa's advise and post regarding a hotel in town. I have emailed regarding a tour on Sunday but have not yet heard back.

As this will be the 4th week we will be traveling, I think we want to do this as seamlessly as possible, hence a tour rather than trying to drive ourselves. I wish we could spend a couple of weeks rather than a couple of days in the area.

Thanks again!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Our pleasure ellasahar:-) Sounds like you've got a great adventure planned;-) Do let us know how this part of the trip planning goes.. and keep enjoyin'!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Hello there,

my advice is also to stay somewhere in town.

if you like to have cheap tour, check this new tour agency, www.enalax.com , you can ask there for their prices, some friends travelled to Meteora, Vergina and Pella and they said it was really nice and cheap :)

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
405 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Thanks, I'll check it out!!

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
405 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

Thanks everyone. I have rented a car and will probably stay at the Hyatt the first night. (We are traveling from Mykonos that day and I expect we will be tired by midnight!) I will look for a place the following evening where we can park easily and stay in town.

Thanks again!

9. Re: 2 nights, 1 day to see Vergina and Pella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2017, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Thessaloniki Region