We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Cupertino in January

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Cupertino in January

Visiting family in Cupertino for about a week in January. Traveling with 2 kids (ages 1 & 10).Need advice on

Pacific highway drive. Can I do it in a day or is overnight hotel stay a must. If I am staying in Cupertino which would be the best way to complete the drive. I am not looking at completing the entire 120 mile distance. Suggestions needed about must-see places especially beach towns and vegetarian restaurants along the way.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,410 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Cupertino in January

You are looking to do things outisde cupertino so post your itinerary in the ca forum. What 120 miles are you talking about?

Monterey Carmel Santa Cruz the big sur. And san Francisco are places to see. One could do day trios to a few places but better to stay overnight

Each location has top questions that are a must read

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Cupertino in January

Going south, I would stay a night or two in Monterey. The kids will like the aquarium and maybe whale watching. Drive down to Big Sur as a day trip. Rain in January may affect your drive but it's also a quieter season. Go to the Monterey forun to read.

Are you going to SF and how many free days do you have in that week? Do you have other obligations?

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Cupertino in January

It is possible to do a day trip, but the drivings take a long time. Overnight is better. 2 nights are even better. I would suggest to take highway 17 to Santa Cruz and start your coastal visit there, down south. There is Boardwalk at Santa Cruz (pier) but in the winter it is quite quiet, unlike the summer time. You can drive towards Monterey/Carmel, then on to a little beyond Big Sur and drive back. That's some of the most scenic portion of the coastal highway. Lots of points you can visit.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Cupertino in January

I just did the drive south from Cupertino to Santa Cruz on Highway 17 and then on Highway 1 in early August for the first time. After Monterey and until you get close to Morro Bay (where I stopped), the road is one lane in each direction and mostly curves. There are some places to stop where a vista point has been constructed with a medium amount of parking, but there are not that many. Be sure to get gas before you leave Carmel behind - I recommend the 76 station on Carmel Valley Road - for peace of mind.

As for the weather - normally January has a good chance of being rainy - but not so much in the past several years. It also might be overcast. It was overcast on my drive, but it was still interesting to see and make some stops for at least some photos.

I left Cupertino at 9:30am on a Wednesday and arrived in Morro Bay at 3pm covering 193 miles. That includes a 50 minute stop for gas and lunch at Carmel Valley Road, about 4 stops to look at the vista and take photos, and what seemed like alot of time trapped behind a very slow moving RV.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Cupertino in January

Silicon Valley guy

This trip was in Jan '15......

Reply to: Visiting Cupertino in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted