We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

Any suggstions on fun things to do in the Dana Point/ Laguna Beach Area with young kids in August? Looking at a day Whale Watching & another at Disneyland, but would love some other suggestions. Is the Pagent of the Masters appropriate for kids, as well?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,098 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

Capt Daves Dolphin Safari is really fun.

www.dolphinsafari.com

There is also the Ocean Institute at the harbor,a learning facility for school age kids that is very interesting.Right nearby are the tidepools to explore.

Very close to the Institute is kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals.On the cliff above the Institute are the new headlands nature trails.Incredible views from the trails of the ocean and mountains in the distance.

At Doheny there are bicycle rentals,surfboard rentals,and if you go a couple miles inland,you can visit the San Juan Capistrano Mission.Lots of history..

You can rent sailboats or jet skis at the harbor.There are also fishing boats that do 1/2 or full day trips.

For the grown ups a drink or dinner at Cannons is great.The views over the harbor are spectacular.

2. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 08:05
Level Contributor
38,797 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

I have heard great things about the dolphin adventures, I would love to do this when we are in Laguna Beach next time, hopefully in early December for an anniversary trip! :)

Dana Point
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

Thank you! We take our reviews very seriously and love to hear all the great feedback! Hope to see you in December. :)

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

I'm not sure of your kids' ages or interests, but most 2-12 year olds will find Pageant of the Masters incredibly boring unless they have a keen and special interest in the performing arts. Younger than 2, they will simply sleep through it. Tweens through 20s may find it boring or fascinating depending on interests. North of PoM on Laguna Canyon Rd. is the Sawdust Festival, an open-air arts and crafts fair with some very unique items (some very expensive!). That might be a bit more interesting to the kids.

If they are interested in the outdoors and wildlife there are a lot of County Wilderness Parks in the area. Aliso/Wood Canyon has a small but interesting visitor center with miles of hiking trails from easy to strenuous.

In the evening, there are two mega-malls in the area with restaurants, theaters, carousels or ferris wheels, etc. Irvine Spectrum Center is 15 minutes north of DP at the junction of I-5 and I-405. South Coast Plaza is a group of 4 or 5 malls, 30 minutes north on I-405 at CA-55.

Discovery Center http://www.discoverycube.org/ is a kid-friendly science museum in Santa Ana, about 5 minutes south of Disneyland.

This place is new, sounds good for young kids: http://www.pretendcity.org/ Since all the kids in my life are teen or older, I don't know anyone who's been there.

Dana Point
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

I just went to Pretend city a couleof weeks ago with my 8-year old and her friends...ranging in age from 3 to 8. Everyone enjoyed it, but it s geared more towards the 3 thorugh 7 crowd. Still a few interesting things to do for older kids, but not so much.

Discvoery is a way better experience if kids are 6 and up.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

Thanks for all of the information!! We really appreciate it. Do you suggest any particular whale watching tour over another??

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

Where is Pretend City??

9. Re: Suggestions for Activities in Dana Point w/ young kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:18