We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalina Island in February

Kansas
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Catalina Island in February

We will be staying in Dana Point for 4 weeks starting February 4. Is a day trip over to Catalina during the month of February a sensible idea or is the money better spent on the coast? Just didn't know if there were things to do on the island that couldn't be done on the coast. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Dana Point
Dana Point
Orange County, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalina Island in February

Let's see, see Buffalo in the wild, go Zip Lining, and much more.

I would plan for one night in Avalon to see and do what is available, here is a link to the company that owns the island and what is available.

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/

Mentioned in this post
Avalon
Avalon
Catalina Island, CA
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,755 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalina Island in February

I love Catalina any time of the year...it is so unique to California. We love the kayak tour or an ocean rafting tour, even the shuttle tour up into the mountain is fascinating. The wildlife there is amazing. Then there is always the glass bottom boat tour! Catalina Island is kind of a throw back to the way it was 50 years ago along the California coast.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalina Island in February

This weekend was absolutely gorgeous here, better than a summer day! I actually had the thought that I wish we had the time to go out to Catalina Island for the day. YES, you won't regret making a trip out there, especially with the luxury of 4 weeks. You very well could see whales enroute, it's much more special without the hoards of tourists and really a fantastic place to visit. Just try and plan your visit around nice weather.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,755 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalina Island in February

Also forgot to mention, some cruise ships have a stop in Catalina - it tends to be pretty crowded on those days, so if you can find out when they are not in port, go on those days...not sure if any stop in February or not, but worth asking.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalina Island in February

The one Cruise Ship that stops at Avalon on a regular basis is the Carnival Inspiration, and it is Tuesdays that it is in the Harbor. (I will be on it a week from Tuesday :)

So if you can, avoid visiting on Tuesday. Weekdays should give you a better rate on Hotels, and the tours will be less crowded, as compared to the weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Avalon
Avalon
Catalina Island, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalina Island in February

Here's a site that gives you some info about things to do on Catalina as well as it's history: catalinainfo.com/catalina-island-history.html

I usually use the site that I posted which sails out of Newport Harbor but you can also sail out of Dana Point Harbor. I don't have that url but maybe socalbeachbum or Darkbeer can supply it.

This will be nothing like Kansas. :-). Have a good time---it's worth at least a day trip but if he weather is good (and it generally has been this winter) staying a night is also an option.

Mentioned in this post
Dana Point Harbor
Dana Point Harbor
900 Reviews
Dana Point, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalina Island in February

Here are the two main companies that offer ferry service to Avalon.

First is the Catalina Flyer, which leaves from the Newport Beach/Balboa Pier area.

http://www.catalinainfo.com/

This is the one I prefer, great boat and fast.

The other company is the Catalina Express, which goes from multiple ports in the Southland.

http://www.catalinaexpress.com/

FYI, if you are in town on your Birthday, and it is before April 30th, Catalina Express will give you a free trip.

Mentioned in this post
Catalina Flyer
Catalina Flyer
94 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Balboa Pier
Balboa Pier
269 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Catalina Express
Catalina Express
213 Reviews
Dana Point, CA
Avalon
Avalon
Catalina Island, CA
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catalina Island in February

Jayhawk:

This doesn't directly relate to a trip to Catalina but it came up in another conversation on another thread and I thought of your visit.

If you are going to be in Dana Point for four weeks starting 2/4, the Orange County Restaurant Week should match up with your last week in the area. Some nice restaurants, good deals, some special menus.

http://www.orangecountyrestaurantweek.com/

Mentioned in this post
Dana Point
Dana Point
Orange County, CA
Orange County
Orange County
California
Kansas
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catalina Island in February

Thanks to everyone for taking time to respond to my question. Plenty of great suggestions and VERY helpful.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catalina Island in February

Hi, the OC restaurantsweek is between February 26th to March the 3rd.

nice prices and excellent choices of dining places.

Tal