We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August in Dana Point?

London, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
August in Dana Point?

I hope you can help - I'm looking at a 3 week trip to California next August and I'm keen to spend 2 weeks by the beach. I thought San Diego would be the place, but a number of people have suggested that it's not actually that hot at the beach in August. We have just had a great time at siesta key in Florida & whilst I appreciate it's a different heat in ca, is it still hot enough for days on the beach & watching the sunset? Is Dana point likely to be warmer than San Diego? I've looked at wunderground for history & that looks ok, but I'd be keen to know what summer really feels like there? It also seems a good place to get an ocean front condo with a pool as well? Any recommendations?

Thank you

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August in Dana Point?

Hi Sarah - actually August is going to be San Diego's 'hot' month. You'll have excellent weather for beach bumming and sunset watching - although you may need a light sweater for the evenings.

However, what do you mean by 'hot'? Are you looking for something in the 90's and above? If so, that's not typical beach weather, that's more inland weather. You can get that type of heat within about 30 minutes of a drive from San Diego - or at the zoo - seems like its always super hot there!

SoCal heat is a 'dry' heat, meaning more like the heat you'll find in an oven versus that of a sauna/steam bath (i.e. Florida).

Dana Point's weather will not be much - if at all - different than San Diego. Dana Point also doesn't have the multitude of attractions that San Diego has. DP is really a day trip - not much else. I wouldn't suggest Dana Point for a long stay.

You'll find a lot of condo listings on VRBO in the San Diego area.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 12:47
2. Re: August in Dana Point?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:15