We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

Which Dana Point hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

Hi all,

Looking for a high end, super relaxing hotel that might also be appropriate to bring our six year old daughter. It would be nice to be right on the ocean. Montage? others? How far is Dana Point from the San Diego attractions for kids?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,611 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

DanaPoint is north of SanDiego county in Orange County. It would be about 25min(with NO traffic ) to the nearest SanDiego attraction of Legoland which is in the town of Carlsbad. Everything else is further away. Another possibility for you to think about that would be high end, but within SanDiego County would be the Four Seasons Aviara Resort.

They have golf, alovely spa and a children's program.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

25 minutes to legoland?? Maybe in a jet. Keep on mind that dana point is not close to any freeway. its probably about 25 minutes just to get on the 5 south. I would say its closer to 45 minutes, if not an hour as there is always traffic going to sd, especially on the weekend.

The best hotels in Dana Point are the St. Regis and the Ritz. SR is not on the beach though. The ritz is. The montage is up about 5-10 miles on PCH in Laguna. That one is probably the nicest of the bunch.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,611 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

Sorry if I was being too optimistic. I live in La Jolla and it takes us under an hour to get to DanaPoint with NO traffic.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

Hi,

The 5 Freeway South connects to the Southern Boundry of Dana Point at Beach Cities Exit. From the Ritz Carlton and St Regis it takes no more than 5 to 10 minutes to get on the freeway from the Coast Highway. It takes 20 minutes from Laguna Beach which is not close to the freeway.

Actually, I can make it to the Outlet Mall in Carlsbad(next to Legoland) easily in 25 minutes from San Clemente.

My friends took his 4 kids for 1 week to the Montage in Laguna(I can't even image how much it cost) and they had a ball. The beach below has great areas for exploring for shells and other sea life.

The Ritz Carlton above the beach is closest to DAna Point Harbor which has a nice Marine Institue with Children's Discovery Programs in the tide pools. The beach beolw the hotel is beautiful and an esay walk down the path.

The St REgis is back from the beach but has a shuttle which takes you there and has access to their own private beach club with restaurant.

Of all three, the Montage has a more relaxed atmosphere because of the architecture. It's Craftman's and kinda reminds you old the old beach bungalows except for the price. The restaurants in the hotel are expensive, but they have an incredible children's menu from roomservice which is so cheap. Also, they have a Ruby's acoss the street. in a pinch.

Hope that this is helpful

Cheers!!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

Thanks to all for your responses.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

riffsmom--

perhaps I was being too pesimistic! I usually take Crown Valley to get to the St. Regis and it takes forever!! I just went there a week ago and with all the lights I hit, it took me a good 20 minutes to get from the 5 to the hotel.

According to google, its 36 miles and roughly 45 minutes from the St. Regis to Legoland.

7. Re: Need Rec for great hotel in Dana Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 13:15