We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Dana Point, CA

Which Dana Point hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Dana Point, CA

I have a meeting scheduled for Dana Point, CA. I am flying in from the east coast and have no idea which airport I should look at flying to. Any suggetions would be appreciated. Thank you.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,640 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Dana Point, CA

John Wayne Airport(SNA) would be the closest.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Dana Point, CA

SNA (Orange County) is the closest. The next closest option is Carlsbad (CLD), which is sometimes cheaper but will require changing planes at LAX.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Dana Point, CA

Definitely John Wayne (SNA) first, Long Beach (LGB) is an okay alternative. Carlsbad is just way small.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,640 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Dana Point, CA

I didn't even know that Carlsbad had "real" commercial flights!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Dana Point, CA

Yeah, Sky West flies to LAX about four or five times a day. I assume it is mostly business travelers.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Dana Point, CA

I'm a bit late on this post but may be helpful for future readers. John Wayne (book by SNA, Santa Ana) is your best bet in terms of time and distance to Dana Point (and just about anywhere in mid and south Orange County). Fliers to Long Beach (LGB) may find a slightly less expensive fare, but once on the ground, your commute to anywhere except cities close to that airport can - depending on our very lengthy (e.g., morning, noon, afternoon, and evening) rush hours on the 405 freeway - be a bit unpleasant.

Bottom line, unless there's a "big enough" price difference, always fly into Orange County/John Wayne.

7. Re: Travel to Dana Point, CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 07:18