We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Montage Laguna Beach

Which Dana Point hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
The Montage Laguna Beach

We are visiting California this September starting in San Francisco and finishing in San Diego and have booked most of our hotels however I'm looking at the Montage at Laguna beach for one night in late September and wanted to know if I hung on a bit will the prices come down ? The other hotel I'm thinking of is The Regis in Dana Point but we are meeting friends for dinner that live near to the Montage so wondered if the Regis is too far away ?

10 replies to this topic
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

The St. Regis is only a few minutes down coast but IMO it isn't as nice as the Montage and doesn't have a beach front location. If you want to consider an option, I would look at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel, another gorgeous hotel with a beautiful beach location. Prices at the Montage don't usually fluctuate a lot and any discounts for September would already be showing up.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

We have stayed twice at The Montage, I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any specific questions about this hotel. :)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

I checked prices at the Montage for a September stay. Came up with average $900 USD a night which is about right. That's a lot of money for a 4 PM check in, and out at noon the next day, less than 24 hrs.

Why not stay at one of the many other hotel/motels across or down the street, and then meet for dinner at the Montage? If your friends live in the area, they won't mind driving to any of the hotels in the area to meet you.

We live 45 minutes away, and think nothing of driving to the Montage with friends for dinner. You can go early and enjoy the grounds and make sunset reservations.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,874 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

I'd take the Ritz Carlton over either the Montage or St Regis and Dana Point is just a little south of Laguna Beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

Thank you for all your swift replies and advice will have a look at the Ritz Carlton and maybe have dinner in The Montage and then will think about staying next time we visit am so looking forward to some California sunshine its wet and windy in London

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

IMO -- Dinner at the Montage is over-rated too. A friend took me to Studio (the most elite of the restaurant's there). It was nice -- but far from over the top and the bill was over $100 per person. I'd far prefer dinner at Sapphire or Splashes at the Surf and Sand. Since your friends live in Laguna Beach, I suggest you let them pick their favorite restaurant. The locals very often do NOT pick the most expensive restaurant.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

There is another restaurant at The Montage called The Loft which we love. It is less expensive than Studio and has very good food. :).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

St regis under massive construction. Avoid until June. Stone hill tavern is open but it's a gold course pub not ocean front. I don't care for Splashes at Surf and Sand and my neighbor said Studio at Montage was amazing. The Ritz Carlton has the best views on a bluff with cinematic ocean surroundings. The St Regis will be the best hotel as far as public spaces is concerned. I have seen the plans . The Montage is worn and a bit from the 90s looking.

Edited: 10 January 2016, 08:40
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,874 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

Uh...... the original poster was here in September of 2015.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Montage Laguna Beach

Actually it was September 2014 !

Tomk - had to do some real digging to find this thread !!!

Reply to: The Montage Laguna Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted