We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Segundo

Liverpool, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
El Segundo

Hi I am due to arrive at the Hacienda Hotel on 28th July for 3 nights. I was just wondering if anybody could recommend any nice English tourist restaurants to try? Also how far away is sunset strip and can anyone give an estimate on the price of taxi fares? Thank you in advance!

12 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Segundo

I would not stay at the Hacienda without a car. Public transit access there isn't that great and taxis will be expensive. From there to the middle of the Sunset Strip, for instance, would be around $45 each way, minimum, depending on the routes used - its about 15 miles on surface streets, about 18 if freeways are used (add another $10 or so if freeways are used).

As far as restaurants in the area, there's a lot a short taxi ride away on Rosecrans Ave. - Flemmings Steak House, McCormick & Schmidt's, Jacksons, Paul Martin's American Bistro, Lido, and some others. Or many places over in the Manhattan Beach area near the pier which would be a bit of a longer taxi ride - The Strand House and The Kettle are a couple of options, but there are many others.

Liverpool, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Segundo

We have a car was just curious of taxi prices. Is there many parking areas in sunset strip? Do you have any idea of prices of taxis to Santa Monica pier? Thank you so much for your help.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Segundo

I think I just responded to your other thread but estimate about $35 to the Santa Monica Pier. Expect to pay for parking around the Sunset Strip in the evening.

Liverpool, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Segundo

What about Santa Monica? Is there parking available there?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Segundo

yes, parking is much more easily available in Santa Monica - there's a big parking lot on the beach plus many parking structures around the 3rd St. Promenade and the Santa Monica Place Mall. You will have to pay to park in this area but its generally not that expensive.

Liverpool, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Segundo

Thank you very much for your help.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Segundo

There is a good (by US standards), but slightly expensive English restaurant in Culver City, Waterloo and City. They have a huge selections of beers and ales. It is about a 15 minute drive from your hotel.

I have stayed at the Hacienda Hotel and it is fine. It isn't super good with respect to access to public transportation, but I see foreign tourists walking from there every day the mile or so to the Mariposa Metro Station.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 22:25
Liverpool, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: El Segundo

Thank you very much. All I keep hearing is bad reviews about the hotel and was starting to worry.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Segundo

Danielle - Now I'm feeling guilty that I spoke with such assurance regarding the Hacienda Hotel. I eat lunch there occasionally but I realize that I have not actually slept there in over a decade. At that time I had to spend several weeks there, but I can not vouch for the current conditions. I have to admit that there are so many new chain hotels in that area now that it is not the first one that would pop into my mind if I was suggesting a hotel to someone.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 23:05
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Segundo

Danielle, I just talked a co-worker who did a week long stint in the Hacienda earlier this year. He thought it was OK. His only comment was that there was something strange with the air conditioning so he opened up a window instead.

Reply to: El Segundo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Segundo