We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elk Cove Inn Reopens

Which Elk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elk, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Elk Cove Inn Reopens

I owned the Elk Cove Inn from 1994-2001 and on 6/12/08, I took the inn back at foreclosure. We will be reopened in the next couple of days. The inn is still one of the most gorgeous places on earth and you will once again be treated to "Southern Hosptitality" on the Mendocino Coast. Please check the web site for updates. If you made reservations with the previous owner you will need to call us for details about a refund from your credit card company. We are offering very, very low rates for the rest of June until we are 100% up and running.

Look forward to seeing you in Elk - Elaine Bryant

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elk Cove Inn Reopens

Elaine! Robin and I were absolutely thrilled when

Karen Ward mentioned you had returned! Robin would

not even entertain the idea of returning to the Inn

if you weren't there running things! How busy are

you Christmas week? I need to "get away"...big time!

Love to you and all with the Inn,

Jeep

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elk Cove Inn Reopens

The reopening of Elk Cove Inn is great news, indeed! For those not yet familiar with this charming, historic inn and its gorgeous setting, visit www.elkcoveinn.com

Sacramento
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elk Cove Inn Reopens

I looked at the Elk Cove Inn reveiws here on TA as I am planning a short getaway to Mendocino next month. There were some pretty scary reviews so I marked it off my list of places to consider. I guess maybe most of the reviews reflect on the past owner. Good luck to the new owners.

Burlingame, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Elk Cove Inn Reopens

As someone who frequented the Inn during Elaine & Jim's tenure, I can attest to her "Southern hospitality". I probably should qualify that as some may expect "country ham & biscuits" "grits" or "sweet tea".

I tried the Inn once after she left, and it didn't feel the same. It was good, but something was missing. Maybe I missed playing with Asta on the beach and avoiding Kevin (Park Ranger) so she wouldn't get a ticket for not being on a leash. Or, maybe it was talking to Jim about the construction. One experience felt real and the other formulaic.

Bottom line is I'm glad she's back. While I enjoy all seasons, I've found Winter the best time to visit especially if storms are brewing. (Maybe it fits my personality.) You need to see how the beach below changes not only during the day, but seasons. Truly amazing. And once, I hit it during the seaweed harvest which was an experience.

I usually went there for "thinking vacations" or getaways. Winter is best. Bring a bunch of books, put a log on the fire (if you're in the cabins)and look out through the expansive windows. When you need a break, head to the beach and walk the cove.

Last time I was up there, the town of Mendocino still had a great independent bookstore and telescope store on the same street.

Not sure of the present internet situation. Last time I was there, it was dial up. They may have wireless now, but don't fret if they don't. There is benefit from being disconnected.

Oh, and if you're curious about the glass shower in Greenwood room, they can't see you from the beach. I'll let you decide if that is a pro or con;-)

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elk Cove Inn Reopens

I will be staying at the Elk Cove Inn the 2nd wk. of Dec. and can't wait. Regardless of what the weather gods bestow at that time, I know that it's going to be an ideal retreat for relaxation and a chance to once again absorb the incredible beauty and serenity of the Mendocino Coast. Elaine has been very helpful and responsive to my questions, and she has provided some great ideas for dining. This will probably be one of the few times that we won't drive to Mendocino village for dinner, but instead plan to dine closer to our wonderful place of lodging.

6. Re: Elk Cove Inn Reopens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Elk
Recent Conversations