We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a car?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Do we need a car?

Hi,

We will be staying in Encinitas in early April and I'm trying to decide whether or not to rent a car for our family. We are a family of five, with three young boys (1 year, 5 and 7). We rented a nice cottage with a yard for hanging out and BBQing, but we will want to explore a little too. I'm wondering if the train is doable with a family of five.

Also, we love the beach, but will the weather be good enough to count on that as a daily activity? We are visiting family, but they will be working during the week. Just wondering if we will have enough to do during that time of year or if we should count on having wheels to search things out. I've been to SD many times, but never stayed in Encinitas before. We have airport transportation covered so that is not an issue.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
177 reviews
243 helpful votes
1. Re: Do we need a car?

The coaster http://www.gonctd.com/coaster makes sense for a side tri to Encinatas. But if you want to visit Carlsbad and many places in SD, it may be more convenient to rent a car. You could also make a reservation just in case as there is no penalty to cancel so if weather is bad, you have locked in a price just in case. -advantage of train is no need to get car seats

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
607 posts
13 reviews
30 helpful votes
2. Re: Do we need a car?

Coaster fares range from $8 - $11 round trip or $12 for a regional day pass that includes San Diego trolleys and buses. Kids under 6 are free, so you'd only have to pay the fare for 3 of your 5 people. If your house is within an easy walk to the station you could probably make it work.

On nice days in April there will be plenty of people at the beach, but the water will still be cold. Kids will still be playing in the waves though. But if you want to go to Legoland, the Safari Park or even just to the SD Botanical Garden here in town a car would make it much easier!

Enjoy your visit!

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
60,649 posts
443 reviews
776 helpful votes
3. Re: Do we need a car?

Amberly2100, welcome to the forums.

>>>I'm wondering if the train is doable with a family of five.<<<

Absolutely not, in my opinion.

But do be aware you need car seats for all three kids whether it is a car, taxi or Uber. Only a full sized bus (or train) would be exempt, but the train only gets you so many places and then you need other means and the bus isn't the most efficient.

Even for things like a run to the grocery store or take out pizza (Blue Ribbon Artisan Pizzeria by the way) a car is your best bet in Encinitas.

Reply to: Do we need a car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Encinitas