We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Encinitas or Oceanside?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
6 helpful votes
Encinitas or Oceanside?

We are (possibly) 2 couples looking to visit the ocean for 3 nights in February, driving from Phoenix area. Trying to decide between Encinitas or Oceanside. We are young seniors. We like a funky neighbourhood feel, walking, beach walking, restaurants, cycling, watching surfers, craft beer, markets, maybe some ziplining if it's nearby, and happy to take the train into San Diego if we are bored on one of our days. I'm posting this in Oceanside and Encinitas forums. Would like to hear about the differences in "feelings" between the 2 communities. I am leaning towards Encinitas (and Surfhouse), but the other couple may prefer the "business" of Oceanside. Thanks for insights to come!

5 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
69,496 posts
72 reviews
141 helpful votes
1. Re: Encinitas or Oceanside?

I answered in your other post.

The 2 towns have different atmosphere with Encinitas being more artsy /surfer in feeling and Oceanside more of a larger city which is gentrifying.

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
61,153 posts
442 reviews
775 helpful votes
2. Re: Encinitas or Oceanside?

I would pick Encinitas, Carlsbad or Solana Beach.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Encinitas or Oceanside?

Thank you scottca075

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
799 posts
55 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Encinitas or Oceanside?

I’m a bit biased, as I live in Oceanside, but I think you would enjoy either! If you want to walk or rent bikes on the beach,walk a long a pier, or enjoy a small harbor, Oceanside has the advantage. If visiting on a Thursday, we also have a big sunset market with lots of ethnic food vendors. Encinitas has a nice vibe and one nice beach - Moonlight - but less water sport opportunities.

Edited: 02 December 2017, 05:15
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Encinitas or Oceanside?

Thank you Sally B

Reply to: Encinitas or Oceanside?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Encinitas