We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

Hi guys, after spending a few days in LA I was going to get a train down to Encinitas for 4 or 5 days. I want to see as much as possible in the area but wondered if not hiring a car would be a mistake? I'm on a tight budget and was hoping to use a base and walk around from there/get local buses. I'm a big walker and can easily cover 15miles a day. Any advice would be welcome!

7 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,493 posts
16 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

If you can walk that far, you would probably be ok with no car.Encinitas has a fairly compact downtown area, with lots of bars and restaurants.

You can still hop the Coaster train to visit places further south, including downtown San Diego, which is pretty walkable too.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

Is there a train station in Encinitas? I looked on the Amtrak site and didn’t see Encinitas listed. Confused...

Edited: 27 January 2018, 13:43
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,690 posts
72 reviews
141 helpful votes
3. Re: Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

The local commuter train is called The Coaster. Here is the web site with a list of stations:

http://www.gonctd.com/coaster-stations/

You are correct that the Amtrak train does not stop in Encinitas.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

Thank you RiffM. Very helpful!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
400 posts
38 reviews
32 helpful votes
5. Re: Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

If you are a big walker, yes you will be fine. For us, 2 miles is a lot of walking, so we do need a car.

texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
45 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

What did you end up doing? Thinking about visiting the area via coaster from San Diego

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
14 helpful votes
7. Re: Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?

Amtrak only stops in Oceanside and Solana Beach. The Coaster has 5 or 6 other spots. visit www.gonctd.com

The walkable stops are Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad Village, Oceanside, old town, downtown santa fe depot.

there are also stops with not much around, commuter stops where you kind of need a car, unless you are transferring or getting an uber. they are sorrento valley and carlsbad poinsettia. i think an all day pass on coaster you can purchase in a machine at any coaster station. an all day pass is $12, cheaper for one way or shorter trips.

Reply to: Do I need a car to during my visit to Encinitas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Encinitas