We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street parking in Encinitas near Moonlight Beach

San Diego...
2 posts
Street parking in Encinitas near Moonlight Beach

We are thinking about renting a beach house in Encinitas for several days. On one night, we will likely have more cars than the house allows (but not more overnight guests than allowed). We have previewed the local residential streets in the area, and there are no signs posted restricting parking (overnight or otherwise) on the streets in the neighborhood. We've also checked local ordinances that seem to indicate no limitation on day or overnight parking if there are no signs prohibiting such (which there are not). However, the rental company agreement threatens a significant monetary penalty if neighbors complain of additional cars parked on what appear to be public residential streets with no signage preventing day or overnight street parking. It also seems that many beachgoers freely park on these streets. I would happily direct any overflow cars to paid parking options nearby (but there don't appear to be any), and I also don't see why our guests could not park on public residential streets (I get that the other residents don't like it, but the streets are not marked as permit only parking as many other beach communities are). Does anyone have any suggestions?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,657 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Street parking in Encinitas near Moonlight Beach

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

I would guess that the neighbors do not like the fact that the house is being rented out to strangers and the owners want to minimize problems with other local residents.

When people park to go to the beach they don't leave their cars over night.

They also don't make noise in the neighborhood!

IF you don't want any problems with the rental company I'd just suggest parking a block away from the house.

I would guess that the owners of the home you are renting would not like it if you have a party there which is what it sounds like you are considering. I would not like it either!

I don't think anyone can help you figure out how to break your rental agreement!

I would like to add that there may not be any laws about parking on the street but there are NOISE ordinances and party rules in many areas so I'd be very careful!

Edited: 06 August 2016, 14:47
San Diego...
2 posts
2. Re: Street parking in Encinitas near Moonlight Beach

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. My question was about parking. We are a mature family group (mostly couples 50+), looking at larger homes (6-8 bedrooms, 16-20 guests allowed). Encinitas is a roughly central area for our group coming from various areas in San Diego, Orange and LA counties. We are mostly retired, and as homeowners ourselves, respectful of property owners' rights including noise ordinances. Not all of our group will stay for all nights of the rental, hence a concentration of cars over the weekend. Given that we are coming from widely different areas, and some people have mobility issues, carpooling and the Coaster aren't good options. We couldn't realistically come in two, or even three cars, per most rental property limitations.

I was hoping for some suggestions on public parking options in Encinitas that would allow us to park additional cars in a manner not to annoy residents. Frankly, if the streets are subject to public parking ordinances, I'm skeptical that a rental clause prohibiting otherwise lawful parking on public streets would be legally enforceable. Parking a block away may appease the immediate neighbors of the rental, but I doubt their neighbors a block away appreciate it!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,657 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Street parking in Encinitas near Moonlight Beach

Sorry if I offended you . The area is totally residential. There are no parking lots/garages etc. It is just street parking so you'll have to just spread out and find parking as you can on local streets. My point about using other blocks was to minimize congestion on one block alone.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,657 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Street parking in Encinitas near Moonlight Beach

I suppose you could park at the Coaster station and then arrange to get the guests to the house.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Street parking in Encinitas near Moonlight Beach

Hi

I agree with Riff M. I am not aware of any street specific regulations but i haven't parked there overnight myself. I know parking is very tough especially on weekends as many people park there. It does seem that the person who rented you the place seems concerned with possibly annoying their immediate neighbors. sure everyone wants to park right next to their place, but everyone has the right to park there its public. I would also check to see how long you can leave your car out on the street and any street sweeping that goes on - this information is usually listed on the signs on the street.

also following along with Riff M. The coaster lot off vulcan is a place where people leave cars for periods of time.

6. Re: Street parking in Encinitas near Moonlight Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2017, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Encinitas