We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

site for LARGE family dinner

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
site for LARGE family dinner

Hi All,

We are hosting a family reunion dinner, looking for a Mexican restaurant that can host about 90 people. Staying at the Welk Resort, but folks can drive a bit.

Has anyone any experience with the Hacienda de Vega?

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: site for LARGE family dinner

Here is a link to a great review. We live in LaJolla but Hacienda de Vega has been on my "to eat " list for a while. It is about 45 mi from where we live so we haven't made it yet.

sandiego.diningoutonline.com/restaurant/…

Escondido...
Level Contributor
143 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: site for LARGE family dinner

Hi Tankster! I have eaten at Hacienda de Vega (760-738-9805)on several occasions. The food is really wonderful, but not your standard Mexican fare. It's more adventurous and more authentic than just plain tacos and burritos. Everything I've tried has been very good. More than the food, the setting is really lovely. The garden is pretty and has a fountain. In the evening it's lit with little lights.

I would definitely recommend this location, but keep in mind that prices are on the higher side.

La Tapatia (760-747-8282)is another Mexican restaurant in Escondido. They might be able to accomodate 90 people, but I'm not certain. They have lower prices, but very good standard, authentic Mexican food.

There is another larger Mexican Restaurant called Mi Guadalajara (760-746-4371), but I have never been there for some reason, so I can't rate it, but it seems very popular.

If you have an interest in other than Mexican food, you might check with the new Stone Brewery (760-471-4999). They have a patio area that might fit 90 people. Not sure if they do large parties, but the food was fantastic and the setting really nice.

Nearby in San Marcos, there is also a very tasty restuarant called La Playa Cantina & Grill (760-744-7550) that has seafood and Mexican food. Again, I'm not sure if they do large parties, but the food is delicious.

Outside of Escondido, I would also recommend the Bali Hai down on Shelter island on the Big Bay. They serve Polynesian food, do banquets and weddings all the time, and the food is delicious. I got married there and was EXTREMELY happy with the food.

My last thought is that you can always check with Welk Resort to find out if they have a clubhouse you can reserve or rent and have it catered there.

I hope this helps and feel free to let me know if you have any further questions!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: site for LARGE family dinner

Thanks all. We continue to pursue restaurants, and appreciate everyone's comments.

Tankster

4. Re: site for LARGE family dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 11:20