We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

Which Escondido hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

I'm going to be travelling to San Diego in October and was wondering if it is worth the few extra bucks to spend on the best value tickets over general admission. I'm hoping to go to both parks while we are there, but I'm not sure if we should just settle for general admission or best value with our limited budget.

Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,816 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

Best Value includes the tram/bus ride around the parks which is a good way to get oriented.The other way to save money would be to go to ONE of the parks and not both. There are other things to do in San Diego besides animal parks.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

That doesn't answer the question. Are the upgrades worth it?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,816 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

I am sorry that my telling you what is included,didn't answer your question. I am afraid that you are the only one that can decide if it is worth it to you. I have never gone to either park without the best value ticket so it has been worth it for ME.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

Ok...sounds good.

Thanks

Escondido...
Level Contributor
142 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

Hi Beigledog, I'm a Zoological Society Diamond Member which the first year runs $129 for two people. You didn't mention how many people will be traveling with you, but if you have a family of four, you may want to consider this option if you will be going to both parks. By being a Diamond member, you get entry to BOTH the Wild Animal Park (WAP) AND the Zoo for one year and you also get TWO free tickets to each park. It also includes the WAP Journey into Africa tram (for the two with the membership) which costs $10/adult, $6/child, parking at the WAP, and coupons for 2 for 1 bus rides at the zoo and free sky tram rides. Clearly, it's the better deal if you have four people. If you don't then yes, at the WAP, the Best Value ticket is going to save you about $5.50 because you need to go on the Journey into Africa Tram if you're going to the WAP. Its an awesome park. Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

Yes, the Best Value ticket is definitely worth it! Not buying the Best Value ticket will leave you walking around the zoo clueless and a bit frustrated. Regular admission price is only for repeat visitors who have been on the guided bus tour numerous times and know the zoo like the back of their hand.

With the Best Value you will get a guided and narrated bus tour (double decker open air bus) of must of the zoo and many exhibits. The tour guide stops at exhibits and tell you information about the animals, you also learn facts about the zoo and the layout of the zoo.

In addition, the Best Value ticket includes the "Hop on and Hop off" bus admission, so if you are tired of walking you can wait at a stop and get on and ride to where you want to go. Really helpful for when you are down in "Cat Canyon" and just want to go back up to the front plaza, since walking uphill is hard.

The Skyfari Ride is also included when you get the Best Value ticket. This allows you to travel, via a skyride, from the front plaza near the children's zoo up to "Hoof and Horn Mesa", and travel back again. The Skyfari is an awesome ride anyway, higher than Disneyland's skyride was but still feels secure. It gives you a pretty view of the tallest building in Balboa Park (historic California Tower) and some of the San Diego skyline. It's also nice to have a bird's eye view of the zoo. Plus, it takes you almost right to the polar bear plunge.

If you are considering going to both parks and have a limited budget (and time), just go to the San Diego Zoo. The Wild Animal Park is actually not in San Diego, but north of San Diego in Escondio.

You can get coupons for $8 off the Best Value tickets through the website California Fun Spots. I'll post the web address.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

http://www.cafunspots.com/he_coupons.html

After you register on the site, click submit and that will take you to the coupons. You would choose the San Diego coupons. I believe they don't expire until the end of the year. You need to have Adobe on the computer your using because they are in a PDF form. Just print on clip! I know they are accepted because I used one in June.

Also, if you are taking children, be aware that children get in the San Diego Zoo free during the month of October. However, as I understand it that is free general admission and so the guided tours, hop on bus, and the skyfari muct be payed for separately at their ticket windows. I am not sure of the cost of those tickets. Maybe someone else knows.

8. Re: Zoo and Wild Animal Park - Is Best Value worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 02:18